Blister Beetles and Toxicity to Chickens

ojaichickadee

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
See the attached link re Blister Beetles from poultrydvm.com:

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition...es are insects from,chickens and can be fatal.

I would like this group's thoughts on how you eradicate your blister beetles? I have looked through the forums and see comments like "I'd rather have blister beetles over grasshoppers," and "chickens eat bugs," -- but I don't see any articles in this forum about the toxicity issues of chickens ingesting these beetles. I have a lot of them in my yard and I want to get rid of them, but would like a non-toxic method that won't harm my chickens.

This dvm article discusses the "sudden death" of a chicken which can point to blister beetles, so I can't help but wondering about many of these posts "some times chickens just die" or "I came out to my coop this morning and my favorite chicken was dead" ----- has anyone on this forum really looked at blister beetles as the culprit? If so, how did you eradicate them? Thanks.

Blister beetles are bad news. They are toxic alive and toxic dead and dried out. I would confine my chickens if I were you, until the beetles can be brought under some control.

It's pricey up front, but a little bottle of Elector PSP can treat your yard and run and it's safe for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom