Bloat with cloudy brown liquid

DaveD

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
One of my girls has a bloated belly. It's liquidy, not hard. Her vent is looking fine - not pucked or red. I lubed up my finger and didn't feel an egg. I checked and saw posts about ascites. Yesterday I gave her some Thistle Milk. Today I got a needle and drained some of the liquid, It was brown and cloudy. I tried a few spots, as a thread recommended that, but I stopped when I got blood. I think there is a lot more in there, though. Her skin is looking flaky, but that might be because I drained some fluid and it's not so tight.

From what I've read on her, cloudy means infection and she might not have something terminal. But I don't know what to give her or where to get it.

And suggestions?

-David

Many times it's almost impossible to know what the cause of ascites is without a vet exam and x-rays. You can drain an ascites bird and treat with antibiotic's but the condition will always return unless you can uncover and treat the underlying cause. Most of the time the things that cause ascites cannot be treated. I have had a few of these birds and tried treating them, spent a lot of $$ and extended their lives by a couple of months at the very most.

I am not sure which over-the-counter antibiotic would be best for your situation. My bird was seen by a vet who drained her and put her on a course of Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom