Blonde got sick and died in one hour!!!!

RnRRidgerunner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2014
Rock 'n Roll Ridge, outside Grove, OK
I went outside to let the girls (6) three RR's and 3 Barred Plymouth rocks, when I opened the door to the coop all were there to greet me. I looked down to invite them out and all but Blondie came out. she sat there at the threshold. Her comb and wattle was barely pink and limp, she was lethargic and turned around and went to the back of the coop and sat down on the ground. That was not like her at all she was the perkiest and most forward of them all and she had the reddest comb and wattles.
I opened the back door and gently took her out and she seemed cold. I sat with her awhile and realized she was doing badly. I took her into the house and put her in a small cardboard box with a towel on the bottom and one wrapped around like a nest. I calmed her and she just hung her head.
I desperately looked in my "The Chicken Health Book", but that got me nowhere. I put a heat lamp on near her to help warm her up as I saw her give a shiver. My laser thermometer had a reading of 96 degree F, not 103 as it should be. I tried under the wing and around the head same. While I was looking on line she became a bit distraught and looking for her flock. Then she laid back down and had a seizure and died. All that within one hour of finding her. She was AOK this morning when I looked out and checked on them in the coop. I performed a sort of necropsy and from an amateur all organs looked fine, no sign of worms, she had fine fat tissues, all looked normal. The crop had food in it and plenty of water with the normal grower (liquefied) and remnants of scratch with sorghum and millet and cracked corn in there. I will watch the rest of my chicks closely. They were all fine a bit of go as I gave them a treat of white rice. They were all perky and chatty. This was a very sad event.
idunno.gif
Anyone have any thoughts as to cause?? I think she ate something that poisoned her. No sign of bites, scratches or ticks or mites. A clean and healthy otherwise chicken.

That's really sad and scary
It does sound like she could of been poisoned
Its working out what from if she was?
Id keep a very close eye on the rest if you can x

Ugh, that is so awful - to lose one so quickly with no real warning. Sounds like you did everything you could. I'm so sorry.

jonalisa

So sorry for your loss. How old was Blondie? Many chickens will die around the point of lay or around a year old from some of my reading. Many times it is thought to be stress from laying, egg binding, or a heart attack. Getting a necropsy by the state vet is the best way to find a cause, unless it is fairly obvious on a self done necropsy.

I checked the chicks this morning and found another one dead this time a Plymouth Barred Rock, Lizzie was gone. I put here in a clean plastic bag and called my neighbor who recommended his vet near here in Fairland, OK. I called and he said bring her in for a necropsy. We opened her up and found her liver was yellowed indicting possible poisoning, but further investigation of the posterior portion of the gut revealed congealed blood for the stool. Not good! We also found blood in the anterior (front) part of the gut as well. He then suspected a bacteria of some sort. He gave me some medicated powder to mix with their water and hopefully that will keep the other four alive. i have one that is passing bloody stool and lethargic, clearly sick. The others are still perky so far. The sick one drank heavily of the medicated water mixture from my hand twice so far. Her color is better in the head and comb area. Hope she makes it through the night. A full lab work on the other corpse would be $125 or more. I declined to go to that expense. I have never had anything like this happen in the past. It is a helpless feeling and quite stressful. I also relocated the coop to a fresh spot. Well, I will see what the morrow brings. too sad

Sorry again for your loss. How old are your chickens? Blood in the stool can be a sign of coccidiosis, capillary worms, and enteritis. Cocci is most common between 3 and 20 weeks old, but chickens can get it at any age since new strains can be brought in on new chickens and shoes, tires, etc. What medication did the vet prescribe--corid or amprollium, or sulfa?

Back
Top Bottom