Blood and swollen eyes (Pictures)

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
so i just came back from a little three day trip to find one of my quail with a bloody head and her eye on one side is swollen shut.
did she just jump qnd bqng her heqd or is it the start of something worst....is if it just a head bonk what should i do? i put antiseptic but any other tips
93171_img_0502.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like she may have gotten attacked, or possibly mated too roughly. She doesn't look too bad in that picture. She can still stand, right? I'd take her and put her inside, nice and warm and quiet. Put her in front of a heater, on a heating blanket, etc, just make sure she can get away from the heat if she needs to. For now I'd just keep tabs on her. She should probably be fine, from what you've said, just keep a good watch on that eye. You may need to add neosporin (the kind WITHOUT pain reliever) to the cut on her head, clean the wound now and then, and reapply. Water with some vitamins probably couldn't hurt, either, but most important is the stuff already mentioned. Good luck, keep us posted!

so i dont think she got attacked, unless it was from one of the other females, and there is just female i dont own any males, and they have a huge space so if she was getting picked on she coulld have gotten away.....
i cant keep her in the house, my wife is pregnant, so the rule is one bird in the house, ( our goldern retriver is named Lady Bird) but the chickens quail and partridge are not allowed....so either i keep her in a traveling box or leave her with the other three. but it doesnt look like a sickness right?
93171_img_0503.jpg

Oh, no, that's no sickness, with the blood and everything on the head, that's an injury. But I warn you, if you leave her with the others you risk the others pecking her wound, possibly very badly. When you say a "traveling box", what do you mean? Like a carrier? Just try to keep her separated and warm, however you can.

Well, that looks like a brown roo to me. Yes, hens can lay waste to roos that they don't like.

They both look like randy roos to me, and were probably treated as such. I see nothing that is deadly, but they are both roos. You may have to deal with that in the future.

so are these male or female..... cause if they are all males that would explain the poor egg production
if you need better pictures it will hqve to wait till tomorrow..... but i was told i gettting for females
93171_img_0494.jpg

I see one, maybe two males in the bunch. How many eggs per day have you been averaging and have you heard any "LOOKATME!" type noises? (My rather dippy impression of a coturnix call)

Back
Top Bottom