Blood coming from hind end of Arucana

I have a hen that looked perfectly fine yesterday and looks dreadful this evening. Can't say if it's blood coming from her vent, but something is that shouldn't be. Will be checking her out in a bit now that they are roosting to see what's going on. Very thankful for this thread, I'm sure it's going to help us as well. If I need assistance I'll start a separate thread tomorrow.

I’m glad you were able to catch her and clean her up, nice work! The antibiotic should help, but be certain to make sure she’s eating and drinking enough. I had a hen who laid internally. I failed to keep track of her eating habits and she sadly passed.
I might add electrolytes to her water for a boost. Also try to get your hands on some probiotics, so you can feed them after your done with the antibiotics.
Antibiotics kill the beneficial bacteria in the gut. The gut is the largest part of the immune system, so antibiotics will weaken the immune stain the process. I would feed probiotics for at least a week after the antibiotics
Can the probiotic be one that I have used myself? I have some and could make some pills out of it for her with coconut oil.
The electrolytes can be in the community water?
She is much more active and I have seem her eating and drinking. She is close to the bottom of the pecking order, so I have always kept an eye out for her and the other two hens at the bottom, to make sure they have access to food and water where the other hens leave them alone.

Can the probiotic be one that I have used myself? I have some and could make some pills out of it for her with coconut oil.
The electrolytes can be in the community water?
She is much more active and I have seem her eating and drinking. She is close to the bottom of the pecking order, so I have always kept an eye out for her and the other two hens at the bottom, to make sure they have access to food and water where the other hens leave them alone.
Yep, you can put electrolytes in the community water, the other hens wont mind. Just make sure you offer plain water along with the electrolytes.
I'm sure you can use you own, I'm just not sure what the dosage would be. I doubt you can overdose it though. Maybe try to get a guess if theres something on the bottle about body weight?

Back
Top Bottom