Blood in laying box and on egg!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DutchsCluckers, Sep 18, 2013.

1. DutchsCluckers

DutchsCluckers New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    This morning I went out to get my eggs and found 5 in one box and one with a smear of blood. There was also blood in the pine shavings. There was also poop which is odd. What could this be? I've recently had a hen brooding but today she was with the rest of the flock. Could it be her? How can I tell which of the 8 it is?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is normal to have a blood smear on an egg, especially from a new layer. Occasionally a chicken will always pass a bit of poop when she lays an egg--sometimes they do it every time, and sometimes it is on the egg which is gross. I have one that does it EVERY SINGLE TIME!

3. DutchsCluckers

DutchsCluckers New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Problem is I was told they are about four years old and have been laying for awhile.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are they having bloody poop in the coop, because they could be getting coccidiosis since they are now exposed to a new property. There are 9 strains of cocci and most chickens are immune to what is on their premises by 10-12 weeks, but if they move, they can get a strain. Corid for 5-7 days would help if you think it is coccidiosis. It is a cattle medication used for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by