Blood in Poop? or lining?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellie003, Sep 10, 2010.

1. shellie003

shellie003 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    So Hubby and I and my 4 yr old were out checking on the girls this morning and my son noticed this poop on top of the waterer.
    [​IMG]
    I noticed some fell into the water and I scraped it out and it looks like some lining?, a photo of that wouldn't work since is collapsed right away. My girls are around 20 weeks. Some have just started laying this week. And we have had a few eggs with blood smears, I just figured sore bottoms from laying. Everyone seems fine. All eating and drinking running around. I did give them plain yogurt last night as a treat since we got 6 eggs yesterday.

Should I be worried???? [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    have you fed them any berries lately or did the yogurt have fruit in it? Kinda looks like they may have eaten something from what I see. When they shed lining it looks kinda dusty rose color. From you pic it looks kinda purple or am I seeing it right

3. shellie003

shellie003 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    NE WI
    In the water where the poop fell the rest of the way it looked like some lining of a dusty rose color. We did however feed them black berries and raspberries (a few days ago), and a cranberry tree is above their coop as well even with a roof I suppose ones do occasionally get in. The poop looks a bit more red than purple. My husband thinks I am nuts for taking a picture of the poop and posting it. I just don't want anyone getting sick esp since they really just started laying!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    You may have one that has a small split in her vent. It should heal in a few days.

Matt

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree, looks like berries. Since they're eating, drinking and running around acting like a chicken should....I dont think you have anything to worry about. But just to be sure, I recommend you monitor them and occasionally check their poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by