Blood in poop

He said "they are 1 or 2 weeks old, i had a lot hatching"
okay, then they might have coccodiosis, which you will want to treat with amprolium (Corid, Amprol, AmproMed, etc.), or you could try treating with a sulfa drug like Di-Methx, Albon, SMZ/TMP, Sulmet, SulfaMed-G, etc. If you don't already have any of these, go to Tractor Supply and get the Corid, Amprol, or AmproMed.

Are they drinking and eating?

-Kathy

Thank you for putting the dosage in this post. I just happened to see one of my 9 week old pellets poop, it had stomach lining in it. May be normal, it was morning, but not taking chances. I have Corridor in my kit so put everyone on it. It's Saturday morning and the avian vet is not available except for emergency, and then it's $125 and over an hour drive when it may be nothing but me being paranoid. I'll call her Monday anyway, but going with the Corrid anyway to be sure. Thank you for helping us stay prepared!

My 9 week old brahmas have been outside in their coop and run for one week now. I have noticed blood on their ramp, twice. they get medicated feed, however is should medicate their water? Is this correct? Oh and this is off subject but they hide in their coop when I come out what can I do to get them to come to me? makes me sad
idunno.gif

I have read that they can get scared of you when they are teenagers hehe. I am fine with that I will just feed them good stuff and wait for them to like me.

Medicated feed works as a preventative as it is low dose. If you have an actual outbreak the feed does not contain enough medication and you have to treat. If there is blood on the ramp are you sure it is from droppings? Look inside the coop and see if there is pecking going on or someone got injured in another way and it's getting tracked around. A peck wound on a comb or wattle can bleed a fair amount. Also I've had brahma's who had issues with blood feathers on their legs getting broken. Sometimes that could be a source of bleeding, especially if they are still feathering out. If you suspect coccidiosis, and have narrowed it down to bloody droppings, then I would treat.
They are probably stressed from being moved to new quarters. It can take a while for them to settle in and feel home. Any change is stressful for them. Birds will vary in their desire to socialize with humans. I have some that will sit on my shoulders and yak at me the whole time I'm out there, and others that could care less except for me being the food supply. They all have individual personalities. You can encourage them by offering a treat when you go out there. Won't take long to have them all come running for it. Just make sure you keep treats to 10% or less of their diet. Hope that helps.

thank you. I will keep an eye on them and check them for wounds, and will also keep a look out for bloody poop and proceed from there. And I will also give them time to adjust to their new living space.

Back
Top Bottom