Blood in Poop?

Krazikatlady64

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Armenia, SC
I saw this this afternoon, but I'm not sure if it could be coccidiosis? This would be my first encounter with it. Should I treat with CORID or it is something else?
Chickens all seem fine. I don't know which one it is from, but I will watch roosting positions tonight. Do I treat the whole flock? One happened to have some blood on her comb at the time I found the poop on the poop board, but I think it's unrelated. Photos below.

I have 8 of varying breeds. 8 months old. Semi-molting. It's been super cold, 17 degrees last night. High today 41 (South Carolina). Eating organic grower crumble for molt protein, oyster shell, flock block, butter nut squash, and meal worm treats with corn.

Attachments

• 20201226_171958.jpg
    20201226_171958.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201226_172004.jpg
    20201226_172004.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 8
Can you look at some of the fresh droppings to see if the small white specks are moving? The second pic looks a bit like tapeworm segments. Worms in general can be a cause of blood in droppings. If you could get your regular vet tomorrow to do a fecal float on some fresh droppings that would be ideal, to find out what types of worms and if there is an overload of coccidia. Corid or amprollium is safe, and you could treat for possible coccidiosis, but you may need to worm as well. The best product for tapeworms is something with praziquantel, such as Equimax or Zimectrin Gold. If there are other types of worms, Valbazen or SafeGuard are good. But they are not a good choice for tapeworms.

When I scooped I didn't see anything moving. I'll check again more closely in the morning. My vet can't float chicken droppings. They did try. Can I worm with Safeguard Goat and Corid at the same time?

I also use a small layer of sand on the poop boards, that may be what you see?

You can, but the SafeGuard will not get tapeworms. You need Equimax to treat those, either before or after treating with SafeGuard or Valbazen. Are any of the chickens acting lethargic, puffed up, having runny poops, or not eating? These are symptoms of coccidiosis. Blood only is seen in 2 out of the 7 or more strains of coccidia that affect chickens. But Corid is safe.

Dosage of Equimax horse paste is 0.033 ml per pound (or 0.16 ml for a 5 pound hen. Give it once orally and again in 10-14 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Tapeworm segments contain hundreds of tapeworm eggs. Snails, slugs, earthworms, beetles, fleas, and flies are intermediate hosts of tapeworms. When chickens eat those they ingest the tapeworm eggs.

Their activity level is fairly normal due to our unusual cold and molt, but I would say they are fine. No one is lethargic. Everyone eating very well. No runny poops, this was the only one that looked abnormal.

Tapeworms are bad. I will treat for that first. Thank you for all the dosing information. :bow

Here is a pic of the Equimax, and just be aware that the dosage above is just for Equimax. If you get the Zimectrin Gold the dosage is different.
1609034236256.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom