Blood in poop?

Jkujawa

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2020
I recently introduced two 12 week old americana mixes to my existing flock of three Wyandotte’s. As a preventative I am using corid but the two new birds seem to have a little blood in the stool(?). It’s orangish red in color and is mucousy. I used the normal strength corid for 7 days, it seemed to clear up by the sixth day, then dropped the dosage to 25% of the original strength that I was planning on using for two more weeks in case It might be Coccidia but the appearance has come back in the stool. Any ideas? Should I go back up to normal strength corid for longer? Is it just the new birds getting used to the new environment and feed?
129F494F-BCEF-4106-9867-5FF8B52A5F1C.jpeg

They seem to be acting normal, not lethargic at all and eating and drinking well. The orangish nature of it made me wonder if it was actually blood and it does appear stringy. It’s been happening for a couple days then stopped for a couple days now I see it again for the last day or so. Thanks for the response!

Acv, cinnamon, garlic and oregano oil in their water. I crush a big clove, like two or three tablespoons acv, tablespoon cinnamon, and a few drops of oregano oil in and on the water after(it floats) into a half gallon water. It could be a cocci that’s becoming resistant to corid.

It might be some intestinal shed which looks a bit more orangish and stringy. But if you see it more than once, I would watch them. How are they acting, and are they eating and drinking well? Worms can also cause blood in droppings. Once you have completed Corid, you may want to give some probiotics or a little plain yogurt or buttermilk in the feed. Then worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10 days. On occasion, there can be resistant strains of coccidia, and then usually a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine or Bactrim is used.

Don’t use ACV right now since they have irritated guts. It will not help. Probiotics will do much more. Garlic in large quantities is actually toxic.

Back
Top Bottom