Blood on egg shell

Nadia_mendoza

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
I have a bantam Easter Egger (I got her from mypetchicken, she is almost 7 months old), who just started laying, she has laid 3 eggs total, in 4 days, seem kind of large for a bantam, with a good amount of blood on the egg shell.... I know it is normal but I feel bad for her and am wondering if I should try to use something to help her vent heal or if it’s just time. The pictures show her eggs among standard size chickens’ eggs.

Attachments

• EA2225B9-4462-4F62-B22C-FEB426C4FC78.jpeg
    EA2225B9-4462-4F62-B22C-FEB426C4FC78.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 839A3E63-A10F-41B7-AE67-3C7447141B19.jpeg
    839A3E63-A10F-41B7-AE67-3C7447141B19.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 7
I have a bantam Easter Egger (I got her from mypetchicken, she is almost 7 months old), who just started laying, she has laid 3 eggs total, in 4 days, seem kind of large for a bantam, with a good amount of blood on the egg shell.... I know it is normal but I feel bad for her and am wondering if I should try to use something to help her vent heal or if it’s just time. The pictures show her eggs among standard size chickens’ eggs.
I had a WLH who started doing that back last spring. I looked at her bum one day and saw blood dripping. She had a prolapsed vent. You might want to check for that.

What do you feed your flock?
organic layer feed, oyster shells in a separate dish, some dried oregano in a separate dish, and they free range an hour or so. And I use a little bit of scratch grains to call them back into the run. Do u think something could be missing or too much?

Have all her eggs had that much blood on them?
She has just started laying a few days ago, she’s laid a total of 3 eggs and they were all with blood. The pictures show two of them, I think the other one had a little bit less.

I do my checks/assessment ( Former RN ). at night when they are on the roosts. Crops, feet, eyes, etc. They are captive audiences then. LOL. I'd keep an eye on it it might progress.
Yes. They are very calm when they are already on their roosts for the night. 😜

Back
Top Bottom