Blood on egg, should I worry (pic in comment)?

tess36

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2015
Central Virginia

I'm pretty sure that I know which two of my three EEs are laying as I have witnessed one leaving the coop after singing her egg song and finding a warm blue egg and a couple weeks later surprised another in a nesting box, only to find a blue egg in said box approximately an hour later. They each prefer boxes at opposite ends of the coop. Today I found this one in a different box. It is very torpedo shaped also, long and narrow. When I first started getting some of my brown eggs I got a few like this, but no blood. (All chickens are 28wks and first eggs started one month ago this Friday, if any of that matters.)

Is it reasonable to conclude that this may be my third EE's first egg and do I need to worry about the blood? I looked at the vent area of all three (from a standing distance) and I see no frank blood or abnormality, nor did I note any in the nesting box or coop. Everybody's acting like normal, free ranging away. Thank you in advance to any input. Still learning as I go.
1f609.png

I'm pretty sure that I know which two of my three EEs are laying as I have witnessed one leaving the coop after singing her egg song and finding a warm blue egg and a couple weeks later surprised another in a nesting box, only to find a blue egg in said box approximately an hour later. They each prefer boxes at opposite ends of the coop. Today I found this one in a different box. It is very torpedo shaped also, long and narrow. When I first started getting some of my brown eggs I got a few like this, but no blood. (All chickens are 28wks and first eggs started one month ago this Friday, if any of that matters.)

Is it reasonable to conclude that this may be my third EE's first egg and do I need to worry about the blood? I looked at the vent area of all three (from a standing distance) and I see no frank blood or abnormality, nor did I note any in the nesting box or coop. Everybody's acting like normal, free ranging away. Thank you in advance to any input. Still learning as I go.
1f609.png
Please look closer at the vents. Its possible one may have or had a prolapse, and may get one again. It could also be tearing like sourland said.

Last edited:
I think that everything is going to be OK with your birds. Initial eggs, especially if good sized, causing some ripping and bleeding. Just keep an eye on your birds, but do not worry excessively.

I think that everything is going to be OK with your birds.  Initial eggs, especially if good sized, causing some ripping and bleeding.  Just keep an eye on your birds, but do not worry excessively.

Thank you for the reassurance. I did keep an eye on her and she seemed fine. She laid another 'torpedo' with a scant amount of blood on it two days later. Then another one, blood free, two days after that. Today she laid another egg and it looks more egg shaped, still a little long, but nothing like those first three. I can also tell hers from my other two because hers actually has a green-gray tint to the blue that my other two do not.

Thank you again. I notice you frequently chime in on my threads, I appreciate the POV from other experienced owners that take the time to answer the newby questions from people like me! It helps in my learning process and it makes me comfortable to continue asking, even though sometimes I wonder if some of my questions are dumb ones! I just thought I would come back to this thread and say that. Thank you to everyone who takes the time for those of us just starting out.
1f60a.png

It's a cliché, but "the only dumb question is the one not asked." Good update. It sometimes a while for the 'egg laying machinery' to break in.

Back
Top Bottom