Blood on egg

Sorry about that, hope this is a better angle. Aside from her rear end looking God awful, she seems to be exceptionally alert. She was fighting me during her bath a bit, but let up towards the end.
20211015_220032.jpg

Sorry about that, hope this is a better angle. Aside from her rear end looking God awful, she seems to be exceptionally alert. She was fighting me during her bath a bit, but let up towards the end.
View attachment 2867523
Thank you for the photo.

You may want to trim some of the feathers away from the wound and the exposed tissue. This will make it easier for you to treat and it may stay a little cleaner.

Is she pooping at all - is any waste leaking out or none?

She's swollen, so the tissue likely will not go in. Keep that exposed tissue moist with an ointment. You can use neosporin, prep h, honey, vaseline - whatever you have on hand to keep it from drying out. You surely don't want it to dry and become necrotic.

You've done a good job cleaning her up. You may find more maggots tomorrow as well. That can happen. You read @cherrynberry thread among others, so just do the best you can with this.

Hopefully she can pull through this. Having a prolapse is going to be a little more difficult, but just keep working her.
I would also get her hydrated, if she's drinking on her own that's great. If not, then add a little sugar to her water to entice her to drink. I would also get some Calcium into her. You can give a TUMS or Caltrate - 1 per day. This can help with retention of prolapse.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Thank you for the photo.

You may want to trim some of the feathers away from the wound and the exposed tissue. This will make it easier for you to treat and it may stay a little cleaner.

She's swollen, so the tissue likely will not go in. Keep that exposed tissue moist with an ointment. You can use neosporin, prep h, honey, vaseline - whatever you have on hand to keep it from drying out. You surely don't want it to dry and become necrotic.

You've done a good job cleaning her up. You may find more maggots tomorrow as well. That can happen. You read @cherrynberry thread among others, so just do the best you can with this.

Hopefully she can pull through this. Having a prolapse is going to be a little more difficult, but just keep working her.
I would also get her hydrated, if she's drinking on her own that's great. If not, then add a little sugar to her water to entice her to drink. I would also get some Calcium into her. You can give a TUMS or Caltrate - 1 per day. This can help with retention of prolapse.

Do you think she should be seperated? I seperated my birds in a fly proof pen. That way, I could keep an eye on them. I could check thier poop, crop, and wounds easier. Its also good to make sure they are not dust bathing and getting infected, but again, I have not dealt with a prolapse.

Do you think she should be seperated? I seperated my birds in a fly proof pen. That way, I could keep an eye on them. I could check thier poop, crop, and wounds easier. Its also good to make sure they are not dust bathing and getting infected, but again, I have not dealt with a prolapse.
Yes. Good catch. She does need to be separated from the flock. Others will have a tendency to pick at that exposed tissue and cause a lot of damage.

Thank you for the photo.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your time & advice.

I am planning on doing another soak tomorrow, I will trim the feathers after that.

She did poop after the first round of bath water was drained, and I cleaned her up after that, and did 2 more soaks. I kept changing the water because it was so dirty. Soaked until the maggots (any I could see) were all gone.

She wasn't really leaking waste, but when I tried to manually put her prolapsed vent into place, she kept pushing, like she was trying to adjust or to poop, and it would pop right back out. She did poop some when she was pushing it back out.

I was delaying going out to check on her this morning because I was worried I might find her dead.
She looks good! I was pleasantly surprised. I had a small bowl of feed out for her and plenty of electrolyte water. She has almost finished off the food. I will probably make her and the other two flocks some scrambled eggs this morning.
Her tail is up, so that also gives me hope, but her comb is still flopping around.
I have her separated, she is in the run, but in our "introduction" enclosure. So she can still be around her flock :)
20211016_113607.jpg

Attachments

• 20211016_113607.jpg
    20211016_113607.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 1
I was delaying going out to check on her this morning because I was worried I might find her dead.
She looks good! I was pleasantly surprised. I had a small bowl of feed out for her and plenty of electrolyte water. She has almost finished off the food. I will probably make her and the other two flocks some scrambled eggs this morning.
Her tail is up, so that also gives me hope, but her comb is still flopping around.
I have her separated, she is in the run, but in our "introduction" enclosure. So she can still be around her flock :)View attachment 2867940
Make sure to check her wound! I would also set up a fly trap.

Make sure to check her wound! I would also set up a fly trap.
Gave her another soak this afternoon, she had some maggots again, very few compared to what we were dealing with yesterday. Sprayed her down again with vetirycin after. She is still isolated.

Tried again to fix the prolapse, but when she poops it pops back out again..

My mom suggested trying some hydrocortisone/hydrocortisol cream. Would you recommend it?

I wasn't able to get pictures today but will try to get some tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom