Blood red egg yolks

Sometimes it's just better not to post ;)
I hear ya! I was apprehensive. Almost deleted it, but in the end it got thrown out there...
That's the reason for the little guy under the chair waiting to see if he was wrong., hehe... Anyway, can't take it back, but I respect your reply never the less aart.
We did have a red yoke a while back returned from an egg buyer. They brought it back in a bowl after they cracked it open to cook with it. We assumed it was fertile because we use to have a couple of roos in our egg house. We gave them an 18 pack for free for the inconvenience. So if that wasn't the reason for ours to be red, I am at a loss. We rarely change diets for our egg layers. Anyway. I appreciate your advice as always!
Sincerely, fc
:)

I hear ya! I was apprehensive. Almost deleted it, but in the end it got thrown out there...
That's the reason for the little guy under the chair waiting to see if he was wrong., hehe... Anyway, can't take it back, but I respect your reply never the less aart.
We did have a red yoke a while back returned from an egg buyer. They brought it back in a bowl after they cracked it open to cook with it. We assumed it was fertile because we use to have a couple of roos in our egg house. We gave them an 18 pack for free for the inconvenience. So if that wasn't the reason for ours to be red, I am at a loss. We rarely change diets for our egg layers. Anyway. I appreciate your advice as always!
Sincerely, fc
:)

Hey @Farmer Connie ... I don't think you were out of line. I suggested fertility as a possible issue too in my earlier post.

I personally have seen a started empbryo that quit muddy up the egg yolk with a lot of red...veins are with living embryos, but those that die can leave more than a blood ring...without pictures, there is only conjecture on all part offering potential causes.

And without knowing the background of the poster, you have to allow for broader interpretations too.

That's what I love about BYC...we all come together to offer our collective experience.

Sometimes we are spot on. Sometimes our answer isn't the one that fits, especially as more information comes to light, but we all offer a valuable piece of knowledge that can further the process of investigation and ultimately, hopefully, a correct answer for the OP.

So hey, good thought.
LofMc

I know that a chicken's diet heavily influences the color of their yolk. As others have said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that your chickens are eating something that is turning their yolks red! Especially where they are free ranging and they have access to anything and anything in their pasture.
Check this source out:
http://news.backtotheroots.com/2016/09/14/what-different-egg-yolk-color-means/
It doesn't specify a RED yolk, but from the information I think it's reasonable to infer that the chickens are earing SOMETHING that turns their yolks red...it's probably just not a usual ingredient a chicken would get in a commercial diet or a diet controlled by the owner.

Back
Top Bottom