Blood spot in duck eggs

Kelticd

Chirping
Feb 5, 2021
Hey all! Bean and Puddles, the other two ducklings from my first posts back in February have been growing well and presumably healthy and have been laying eggs for a little bit now.
When I went to use a few eggs today however, I noticed a couple had blood spots in them. From what I was already able to find, this is probably from a tiny blood vessel in the ovary bursting while laying the eggs. Is this common for ducks?
This is the first time we're having this happen, and the only change I can think of recently is the heat we have been having and combating to keep our girls cool.
Please let me know if you guys can think of anything we might be able to do or if it's something we should even be worrying about.

Thank you for posting that link for me, it is book marked now. I'll keep an eye on if it happens more than just while the heat wave is here since I think it's at least partially from the stress of that.

From what I've read it happens in 3-30% of all eggs. It seems abnormal to most people because a lot of us have grown up on grocery store eggs or at the very least eaten our fair share of store bought eggs. Eggs that are sold in stores are required to be pre-candled and eggs with blood spots are to be removed. Of course some slip through the cracks, but that's why you don't see blood spots in most store bought eggs so then when you compare them to fresh farm eggs that are not sorted for blood spots there is quite a bit more blood spots.

Back
Top Bottom