Blood Spots in Eggs?

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Hi all,
So, occasionally, I have noticed small blood spots in the egg yolks (sometimes whites too). There have also been small "meat-like" spots in them sometimes. Are these normal, and if so, what causes them? Are they a reason for concern? Are they still edible? Thank you! Any information would be helpful!

Yep, they're pretty common, it just happens sometimes and some birds seem to have a higher tendency of it happening. It's from the pullet/hen's reproductive tract, and it's perfectly edible.
A couple times, almost the whole egg white is like a pinkish, clear liquid, like there is blood in it....not just spots. We never eat those ones. Is that normal?

A couple times, almost the whole egg white is like a pinkish, clear liquid, like there is blood in it....not just spots. We never eat those ones. Is that normal?

I've had that happen a couple of times, especially in the newer layers (like < 1 year old). I wouldn't worry about it as long as it isn't every egg that chicken lays.

That can happen too.
Normal? Yeah, kinda...if it's happening constantly that bird has an issue.
Not much you can do to fix it tho.

Blood spots are from a blood vessel breaking when ova is released from follicle.
Meat spots are from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract.
I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Just as an interesting fact as general Kosher laws dictate that when an egg has a blood spot (either on the egg yolk or white) it shouldn't be eaten, there are cases when it can be removed and the egg can be consumed. That's the basic idea.
Hi all,
So, occasionally, I have noticed small blood spots in the egg yolks (sometimes whites too). There have also been small "meat-like" spots in them sometimes. Are these normal, and if so, what causes them? Are they a reason for concern? Are they still edible? Thank you! Any information would be helpful!

That can happen too.
Normal? Yeah, kinda...if it's happening constantly that bird has an issue.
Not much you can do to fix it tho.

Blood spots are from a blood vessel breaking when ova is released from follicle.
Meat spots are from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract.
I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Great video !

So are these blood spots?

20211013_162300.jpg
20211013_162304.jpg

Is this the blood spot you are referring to? This one today was larger than the other ones I have seen.

Attachments

• 9E25FDAB-EC6B-46C9-8783-F01486504A77.jpeg
    9E25FDAB-EC6B-46C9-8783-F01486504A77.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom