blood stain on egg. Is my hen haemorrhaging?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BigJill, Jan 6, 2016.

1. BigJill

BigJill New Egg

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi, hoping someone can help offer some tips. Am bit worry. I brought a hen 2 weeks ago, 12 months old. But notice all her eggs has bit of blood stain on the shell. Not mu[​IMG]ch just smear here n there. Otherwise she seems pretty healthy. Could she be haemorrhaging? Is there anything i can do?

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Usually means they need more water. Well hydrated hen will have a well lubricated vent. The shell forms at the end of the oviduct just before the vent. Translation would be since she isn't as hydrated the it becomes harder to pass the egg which can cause minor bleeding. If she were to be actually hemorrhage the egg will probably be fully covered in blood. Make sure they have access to water 24 hours 7 days a week. Make sure it doesn't freeze.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Is your hen a new layer? Sometimes this can cause a little blood in the egg as it passes through. Has she molted and had a break from laying then started again? This too could cause blood as she gets the laying machine back in order.

If type in blood on egg in the search box above there are many threads that come up that should help you further.

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have gotten some excellent advice so, I will just say Welcome to Backyard chickens, thanks for joining the flock.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by