Bloody bottom

paulinaydern

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Pinky pooped on the floor and left blood drops behind. We flipped her over and found the blood to be coming from her big tail feathers that are trying to grow in.

Did she break something off to cause it to bleed? There were some clumps, not just runny blood.

Is this what happens when those big feathers pop through their skin?

Do we need to be concerned? Clean it with something?

Thanks,
P.

The blood has dried up today. It was coming from the feathers, not in the poop. The other turk isnt' picking on this one. The blood was darker, and yes, it was clotty, almost lumpy.

It seems like it's ok today, it just scared me yesterday. Would cornstarch help to stop bleeding if it should happen again? When our parrot's nail started bleeding I dipped it in flour and it seemed to make it stop. This was much more blood than the drip our parrot had.

P.

The clumps are wing/feather blood - I don't know if there is something that makes it clot real fast like it does. Any Doc's or Nurses around on this?
It stops by itself but you need to make sure you clean it so it doesn't become a picking point.

Steve

We just use tap water wash the blood off so the others don't see the red.

I'm "old school" and don't feel the need to use this or that for minor stuff. Just wash it off and keep going but keep an eye on it.

Remember your first child- "omg he's going to break or eat something bad" after a couple they are out back eating dirt- "ya whatever - maybe they would eat as much dinner tonight"
smile.png

Steve

Quote:
Well I am a nurse but unfortunately I must have been ill the day they taught about the clotting factor in turkey wing/feather blood!
wink.png

Quote:
Well I am a nurse but unfortunately I must have been ill the day they taught about the clotting factor in turkey wing/feather blood!
wink.png

Thanks

He he

Back
Top Bottom