Bloody chicken

I went to lock my chickens in their coop tonight and I found my girl in the nesting box. When I pull

• X

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Z

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
I can’t even see the vent in the pictures, but it looks like serious pecking. I would separate her, and put some Vetericyn wound spray on it. Once it heals some, try an antipeck lotion. Many people try antipeck lotions, but pine tar from feed stores like TSC, can be helpful as an antipeck product. The strong pine taste and the stickiness usually works. Do not apply within an inch of the vent. Reapply as necessary. Make sure that they are not over crowded, that you have enough nest boxes, are feeding at leats 16 % protein, and let them out to roam around daily.

upload_2019-2-13_22-58-26.jpeg

Poor baby. Looks like a bit of an older wound that’s been pecked at to me.
Would you be able to give her a soak? I like to use a foot tub but really what ever you could come up with would work. Pick something or a place where you could be with her... holding or monitoring her...get comfortable. Mine actually like soaks they fall asleep. It will help soften tissue and clean away old stuff. I would not use hydrogen peroxide.
What type of first aid items do you have? I would get everything ready prior to the soak. Have some small scissors ready too. So you can trim away feathers around the wound.

Poor baby. Looks like a bit of an older wound that’s been pecked at to me.
Would you be able to give her a soak? I like to use a foot tub but really what ever you could come up with would work. Pick something or a place where you could be with her... holding or monitoring her...get comfortable. Mine actually like soaks they fall asleep. It will help soften tissue and clean away old stuff. I would not use hydrogen peroxide.
What type of first aid items do you have? I would get everything ready prior to the soak. Have some small scissors ready too. So you can trim away feathers around the wound.

She did enjoy the soak. I bought Blu-Kote for her, but I'm afraid to put it on now that I see the would more closely. I actually use homeopathic remedies. I'm thinking of Calendula for the wound, but not sure if I want to add anything at the moment

Back
Top Bottom