Bloody combs

Cpgrnwd

Songster
May 22, 2023
Central IL
Yesterday we lost our first hen to a reproductive infection.

Today it is dramatically colder its been over 30 today its 13 with winds. The 7 remaining hens haven't had anything changed.

They have 4x8 indoor coop space with 2 straw bales to sit or walk around on in addition to 2 roosts and 3 roll out nests and attached covered 5x15 wrapped in plastic with ventilation at top.

I went out for my mid day visit and saw blood splattered around.

I located one of my lower pecking order girls with a bleeding comb. Not severe but steady enough for her to shake her head probably due to blood in her eyes Hence the splatter. I looked at everyone quickly before bringing her in and didn't notice anything else.

Got her in and got the bleeding settled down gave her a boiled egg and a few bites of leftover roast.

When i took her back out another hen has a bloody comb and yet another one i can tell has been pecked.

I stayed out with them for an hour. One or both of my black astrolorp are the culprit (hard to tell apart).

Is it normal for fighting after a loss? Should I intervene?

Not having a good chicken mom week:(

They are probably rearranging their pecking order after the one hen died. But I would separate the 2 suspects away from the flock for a few days, and keep a close eye on everyone. A game camera can be helpful. Make sure they have plenty of room, and you can offer some things for them to peck and climb on. Are they eating mostly layer feed, and getting enough protein? Is the coop too bright?

Yesterday we lost our first hen to a reproductive infection.

Today it is dramatically colder its been over 30 today its 13 with winds. The 7 remaining hens haven't had anything changed.

They have 4x8 indoor coop space with 2 straw bales to sit or walk around on in addition to 2 roosts and 3 roll out nests and attached covered 5x15 wrapped in plastic with ventilation at top.

I went out for my mid day visit and saw blood splattered around.

I located one of my lower pecking order girls with a bleeding comb. Not severe but steady enough for her to shake her head probably due to blood in her eyes Hence the splatter. I looked at everyone quickly before bringing her in and didn't notice anything else.

Got her in and got the bleeding settled down gave her a boiled egg and a few bites of leftover roast.

When i took her back out another hen has a bloody comb and yet another one i can tell has been pecked.

I stayed out with them for an hour. One or both of my black astrolorp are the culprit (hard to tell apart).

Is it normal for fighting after a loss? Should I intervene?

Not having a good chicken mom week:(
I did go out and
They are probably rearranging their pecking order after the one hen died. But I would separate the 2 suspects away from the flock for a few days, and keep a close eye on everyone. A game camera can be helpful. Make sure they have plenty of room, and you can offer some things for them to peck and climb on. Are they eating mostly layer feed, and getting enough protein? Is the coop too bright?
Maybe it was too bright. I moved the light and turned it off early tonight. I put them on their roosts making sure to put the victims together and the mean girls on the other side of the coop. I canceled the morning light because it's going to be even colder tomorrow ao I thought perhaps they would sleep in.

Im wishing I would have created an isolation zone in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom