Bloody Combs!!!

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Blah my chickens combs seem to be getting cut or they are fighting or its the cold!!!! they seem fine but should I put vasaline on them???

Yes, but it is probably better to use plain neosporin along with something nasty tasting. It is also useful to provide alternative targets of their attentions, i.e., extra protein and fruit. High quality bird feed, hang up a peach in the coop, flock block/suet cake (if nothing else).

Since this is related to frostbite (cold related injuries) take a look at this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280994

If
any are bleeding a lot you should separate until the wounds scab over.

ed: Do you have a heat lamp running through the night? This can result in increased activity levels.
How many chooks do you have and how big is the coop? More irritable when crowded

Last edited:
We always leave the heat lamp on and this has never happend! Should I put neosporin and bag balm??? gah silly creatures!!! they have lots of room and we let them free range alot except they dont like the snow so it has been less...

Bag Balm and neosporin will work (pine tar will, 99% of the time, keep them from repeating), but to prevent this happening often get something that tastes bad - pine tar/masks injury (like blu-kote).

We keep a 15w incandescent in a securely fastened shop lamp fixture aimed up at the inside of the roof. This provides just enough light to see, but keeps them calm. It was -4°F here this morning and, though most don't want to come out (one BSL hen joined the turks outside), all are in good shape.

Last edited:
If you are going for pine tar, please read my post on use in the linked thread above. It is Very nasty to work with!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom