Bloody eggs from several of my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mortenson1987, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mortenson1987

Mortenson1987 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Albany, IL
    Lately I've noticed several of my eggs are quite bloody. Should I be concerned? They have been laying about 5 months now and figured that their bodies should be used to the laying by now. I also noticed that my hens are being mated bare. I have 2 roosters for 20 hens and figured that should be a good ratio. I don't want to get rid of either because I like having a spare in case something happens to 1 rooster.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    That happens or for sure does with me in the last 1/2 a century. I figure the eggs are getting some bigger and they are not use to it yet. Might be way off but it has always stopped.

Some people use chicken saddles---I told one lady that suggested I get some for mine---she has never seen mine. I said Mam---I got over 100 breeder hens-----I do not think I will saddle all them up---LOL. Check your rooster for sharp claws and spurs---if needed trim the sharp points off them. Still you will probably get some bear backs. I never let it worry me----mine have always grow them back.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are they bloody on the inside or outside?

Roosters younger than two years old can be very vigorous at mating. You could rotate your roosters, penning one where he's still a part of the flock. Otherwise many first year hens can get bareback because roosters will mate them more often than older hens. I never use saddles because they come with their own problems. All hens get back their feathers in the fall molt.

4. Mortenson1987

May 31, 2016
    Albany, IL
    Covered in blood, not blood spots. One rooster will be 2 this year and the other 1 year old, so both are still young and full of energy. Unfortunately at this time I have no space to separate any of the birds. Hopefully this summer I can get permanent coop finished then I will have the space to separate when needed

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    At this time I say you do not have a problem---sounds normal for raising chickens.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is probably from the eggs getting slowly larger and the cloaca stretching.

7. Mortenson1987

May 31, 2016
    Albany, IL
    Figured it was probably normal but my 1st 4 hens I bought summer before last didn't have this happen (they were 12-16wk old mutts from someone in the area). These younger hens are hatchery chicks I ordered from Murray McMurray last summer.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A small blood smear on outside of egg occasionally is 'normal'.....
    ....more than once in awhile and/or large amounts of blood would merit a closer look.

Multiple males often creates an environment of competition....and the females can suffer from it in many ways.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by