Bloody eggs from several of my hens

Mortenson1987

Chirping
May 31, 2016
Albany, IL
Lately I've noticed several of my eggs are quite bloody. Should I be concerned? They have been laying about 5 months now and figured that their bodies should be used to the laying by now. I also noticed that my hens are being mated bare. I have 2 roosters for 20 hens and figured that should be a good ratio. I don't want to get rid of either because I like having a spare in case something happens to 1 rooster.

Lately I've noticed several of my eggs are quite bloody. Should I be concerned? They have been laying about 5 months now and figured that their bodies should be used to the laying by now. I also noticed that my hens are being mated bare. I have 2 roosters for 20 hens and figured that should be a good ratio. I don't want to get rid of either because I like having a spare in case something happens to 1 rooster.

That happens or for sure does with me in the last 1/2 a century. I figure the eggs are getting some bigger and they are not use to it yet. Might be way off but it has always stopped.

Some people use chicken saddles---I told one lady that suggested I get some for mine---she has never seen mine. I said Mam---I got over 100 breeder hens-----I do not think I will saddle all them up---LOL. Check your rooster for sharp claws and spurs---if needed trim the sharp points off them. Still you will probably get some bear backs. I never let it worry me----mine have always grow them back.

Last edited:
Are they bloody on the inside or outside?

Roosters younger than two years old can be very vigorous at mating. You could rotate your roosters, penning one where he's still a part of the flock. Otherwise many first year hens can get bareback because roosters will mate them more often than older hens. I never use saddles because they come with their own problems. All hens get back their feathers in the fall molt.

Covered in blood, not blood spots. One rooster will be 2 this year and the other 1 year old, so both are still young and full of energy. Unfortunately at this time I have no space to separate any of the birds. Hopefully this summer I can get permanent coop finished then I will have the space to separate when needed

Last edited:
Covered in blood, not blood spots. One rooster will be 2 this year and the other 1 year old, so both are still young and full of energy. Unfortunately at this time I have no space to separate any of the birds. Hopefully this summer I can get permanent coop finished then I will have the space to separate when needed

At this time I say you do not have a problem---sounds normal for raising chickens.

It is probably from the eggs getting slowly larger and the cloaca stretching.

Figured it was probably normal but my 1st 4 hens I bought summer before last didn't have this happen (they were 12-16wk old mutts from someone in the area). These younger hens are hatchery chicks I ordered from Murray McMurray last summer.

A small blood smear on outside of egg occasionally is 'normal'.....
....more than once in awhile and/or large amounts of blood would merit a closer look.

Multiple males often creates an environment of competition....and the females can suffer from it in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom