Bloody eggs

Jul 22, 2021
Since this past Saturday I've collected 3 eggs that have come out with the shell bloody. They've all come from 3 separate hens, 1 white egg and 2 different tan eggs but each only laid the 1 bloody egg and the rest come out clean. I've never seen this before but I wanted to double check if this is normal since they haven't laid much all winter or if this indicates a problem? I've attached pictures of today's egg.
IMG_20240110_172600866.jpg
IMG_20240110_172606489.jpg

What's their source of calcium?

I only usually get like maybe, 1-3 of those from first time layers, blood amount varies, it usually isn't an alarming amount.

According to MyPetChicken.com/blog, 10/11/22:

When a hen has just begin laying, there can occasionally be a little blood on the egg shell, but it is usually no cause for concern. Eventually her vent gets used to stretching when she lays, and becomes very elastic. However, at first it does occasionally happen that with a large egg she might bleed just a little. And it can happen, too, to an older hen if she lays an egg larger than she is used to.

It sounds like they've got a great diet and are getting extra calcium on the side, so as long as they aren't having any other issues, I'd give it a day or two to see if it just passes.

Back
Top Bottom