bloody feathers after laying?

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Our white Holland hen started laying eggs two days ago at 6 months of age. We noticed yesterday while she was nest building that she had blood on her feathers near her vent and on her tail feathers as well. Since it was her first egg we thought that might be normal and she wasn't bleeding otherwise. Today she laid another egg and there's more blood. It looks like she might have a small tear on her vent. Is that normal for a first time layer? We don't know what else might have caused it.

Pullets in any species tend to bleed some. When a football is being pushed through a small waterhose something has to give! Keep an eye on her, if she continues to bleed, sepearte her and consider an ointment. In a few days she should be stretched enough that she will stop bleeding. Meanwhile, do not ahtch the pullet eggs. Wait until her first clucth is over. About a week or so. The pullet eggs can be fried, scrambled. poached.......

I suggest going to a poultry vet, hopefully you'll find one around since there
are only about 18 in the USA (more or less).

But that doesn't seem to be normal to have MORE blood after
the second egg.

Well, we searched a little deeper today and found that our turkey wasn't bleeding from the vent area at all but instead has lost some tail feathers. We caught a chicken pecking at her today but my husband had to leave for work and I couldn't hold her down by myself to medicate so will put some ointment on her rump tomorrow morning. She laid another egg today that wasn't bloody at all and was twice the size as the first one.

Quote:
My mom's a vet ... doesn't specialize in poultry per se but taught at university vet med school for over 25 years on top of practicing. Vet care is never an issue to find for me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom