Turkey losing feathers

Omegacron

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2021
One of our turkey hens is losing her feathers all over the place. I'm hoping it's just normal end-of-summer molting, but wanted to confirm. She otherwise seems healthy and active.

I'm also thinking it might be stress-related. She sat on a nest for over two months without hatching (we don't have a male). We tried sneaking some fertilized chicken eggs under her but she pushed them out of the nest. We tried sneaking some live newborn chicks under her one night, but she attacked them as well. At this point she was getting really skinny so we took her off the nest and put her in a coop for a week to break her of it. She was doing fine (didn't go back to her nest) and regained weight but the losing feathers thing started about a week later. After she lost her tail feathers, we quarantined her for a week to make sure she wasn't sick, but other than losing feathers she seems fine. That was about two weeks ago and here she is today:

turkey01.jpg

One of our turkey hens is losing her feathers all over the place. I'm hoping it's just normal end-of-summer molting, but wanted to confirm. She otherwise seems healthy and active.

I'm also thinking it might be stress-related. She sat on a nest for over two months without hatching (we don't have a male). We tried sneaking some fertilized chicken eggs under her but she pushed them out of the nest. We tried sneaking some live newborn chicks under her one night, but she attacked them as well. At this point she was getting really skinny so we took her off the nest and put her in a coop for a week to break her of it. She was doing fine (didn't go back to her nest) and regained weight but the losing feathers thing started about a week later. After she lost her tail feathers, we quarantined her for a week to make sure she wasn't sick, but other than losing feathers she seems fine. That was about two weeks ago and here she is today:

View attachment 3637118
Yes, adult turkeys molt annually. Some do a slow molt while others do a fast molt.

Be sure to get good pics for the Other Fowl Molt contest.

Last edited:

View attachment 3637118
Will post pic's my 1 1/2 year old jenny actually looks worse & the rest of my mixed flock are full of feathers.

Pic's are from my 1 1/2 yr old Jenny. Normal ? not to have feathers growing in after her molt, growing concerned cause today is Nov. 11 glad it's been mild temperatures recently. Been feeding extra mealworms and sunflower seeds as treats. She's eating her flock raiser feed when she's not free ranging. Still her happy, loving self.......................

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    922.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1962 (1).JPG
    IMG_1962 (1).JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 9
Pic's are from my 1 1/2 yr old Jenny. Normal ? not to have feathers growing in after her molt, growing concerned cause today is Nov. 11 glad it's been mild temperatures recently. Been feeding extra mealworms and sunflower seeds as treats. She's eating her flock raiser feed when she's not free ranging. Still her happy, loving self.......................
It's normal, you can see the pin feathers coming in.

Back
Top Bottom