Bloody Feeder, what happened?

lajohnston

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Indianapolis
We had to leave town for 24 hours and upon our return found the chicken feeder covered in blood. It appears as though something was pecking or scratching to get more feed and in the process smeared, spattered blood all around it. I checked each of my birds, especially their beaks and feet/toes but could not find any signs of injury.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what has happened?

My guess is that one of them got it's comb bloodied by pecking or an injury, and it kept getting smeared on the feeder while the chicken ate.

Did you check their heads/head feathers? We have a Polish whose head was relentlessly picked for whatever reason when we transitioned the flock to the coop,, causing lots and lots of blood before we caught it and stopped it. I am thinking, they have to put their heads down to eat at this feeder, so I wonder if there is/are pecking wound(s) on someone's head?

I hope you find the reason soon. Good luck!

That is scary. Does the blood continue all around the feeder? I think we need forensic help to solve this. Too bad you couldn't set up a game cam aimed toward the feeder to show what is going on.

I reside in Wisconsin and recently have the same problem. My feeder is completely red with blood just like yours but only thicker. Scared the jaheebers out of me. I've checked them and cannot find any injury. I have noticed black spots on combs from pecking one another, but I can't imagine that much blood coming from just that. I am a first time chickeneer and truly love it. I will get a photo and will upload tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom