Bloody mess

Byrd gal

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Sw ohio
I have a flock of hens from 1 to 4 years old. Layer feed and calcium available. I found a broken bloody shell in the box today. No one has bloody behinds and everyone appears ok. I want to do something but I have no clue how to find out which one has a problem or what is next here? Ideas?

For now, if they all look normal and act normal, I would not try to do anything.

If it were to happen regularly, it might indicate a problem. But if it's just a one-time thing, it is probably nothing to worry about.

For now, if they all look normal and act normal, I would not try to do anything.

If it were to happen regularly, it might indicate a problem. But if it's just a one-time thing, it is probably nothing to worry about.
You don't think the rest of the shell is still in her? I have not seen anything unusual in the nest box so far today. I think it is one of my year old girls from the color of the shell. No signs of distress yet....

You don't think the rest of the shell is still in her? I have not seen anything unusual in the nest box so far today. I think it is one of my year old girls from the color of the shell. No signs of distress yet....
I can't be positive, but I think it is more likely that the egg came out and then broke.

Watching for signs of distress is a good idea. Chickens that act normal and healthy usually are fine, but watching will let you know if that changes.

Back
Top Bottom