BLOODY POOP! I'm really worried! :(

Quote:
I'm sorry your going through this-before I say anything I just want to add feeding any birds just bread is not healthy at all-ot even if he is freeranging-he needs real food balanced for poultry-if you only have 1 bird 1 50# bag will last you a LOONG time and wont cost much to feed him properly on a daily basis-also his waterer needs to be cleaned in teh very least rinsed everyday with fresh water-I bet you'll see a huge change in his disposition too-when you fix his eating/drinking diets.

It is probably intestinal lining coming out in his poo thats normal

Okay, I'll try to get him chicken feed. Actually, I've only started him on bread these past few months, but you guys are probably right.

Here are some pictures:

The bloody poop:
2rpb2tf.jpg

His poop right after:
2095yro.jpg

Chucky (he's probably half silkie):
2prhfur.jpg

Quote:
what do you mean he is the only one at home, do you not have any other chickens? you feed him bread? you try to change his water bowl when you can? I am confused. He lives in cage, there must be more to this. It is rare for a full grown chicken to have cocci, tell us a little more. you said his poo was green when you let him out, how is it now? is he drinking and eating? what color is his cone?

you need to get him chicken food-not "try". ( not just scratch either) His stomach is probably very low in normal gut flora which fights off diseases and such. Why were you feeding him just bread??? The green stool is very loose too-he has no substance in his belly to thicken his poo the way it should be

Last edited:
Quote:
He is my only pet chicken. I don't raise chickens. I keep him in a cage ONLY at night because we have stray cats around my place and I don't want him to get hurt. I let him out during the day and put him in his cage at nighttime.

I'm not experienced at raising chickens. (I bought him 2 years ago as a chick, thinking he wouldn't last long but he grew!) I saw a poster somewhere that she was feeding her chickens bread so I thought, why not? But I'll go get some chicken feed today since there's a place near our school.

I've posted pictures of his poop. He's always been a fighter and he still is now, as if nothing's happened.

If you don't mind, what state are you in? I'm guessing west coast if your store is still open. He'll do so much better with chicken food. I'd get chick starter/grower if he free ranges...give it to him in his cage and put a bowl out in the yard during the day.

you have been raising him for 2 years on bread? and you thought he wouldn't last long? I am surprised he did. Get him some feed, something with some substance. keep his water clean. he is so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom