Bloody poop

Mar 31, 2018
image.jpg
I was just checking on my chickens (they are about 6 months old) and I found a bloody poop inside of their coop. I think the problem is that they drink dirty water but they always have access to clean water but choose puddles over their clean water. The water sometimes leaks and that creates puddles as well as rain. Also one of the chickens I suspect is the troubled one had cocciodiosis before so we do have corrid so I could try adding that to the water but they won’t drink it! if you know how to stop them from drinking puddles please let me know, thank you!

Last edited:
To treat Cocci you need Corid which can be found at your local ranch store. You do need to treat them ASAP! Get the liquid Corid and treat thier water, give some orally to them the first day though.

Where are you located generally? In the US treatment is most often Corid, available at most feed stores and Tractor Supply, look in the livestock section. It comes in powder or liquid. You will need to prevent them from having access to any water except the medicated water during treatment. Most chickens will drink from puddles, etc if they have a choice. If your waterers are leaking then I'd switch to one that doesn't, or raise them up so they can't spill them. Warm, wet conditions are prime for coccidiosis outbreaks. Treatment dosing for Corid is in the chart below, use the severe outbreak dosing. For any birds that are having symptoms of lethargy, sitting fluffed up, or you can ID as having bloody droppings, give an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Start treatment as soon as possible, it can progress quickly.

900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom