Bloody poop?!?

speedyfuzzball

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Long Island, NY
Can someone please tell me if this is blood or shed intestinal lining?? I am so worried!!!

Thanks..

It looks like it may be blood. I don't know if your chickens are sickly, loosing weight or maybe just ate something red/ orenge like pumkin or red bell peppers, ext. I would keep an eye on additional dropping.

The sickness I think of with bloody poop is Coccidoisis. I hope this isn't the case. Cocci is one of the worst diseases to treat, and if not caught in time, the outcome is death.

Below is a paste of a post I had just posted to someone else with Cocci symptoms Good Luck with your chicken(s).

I read your post and you mentioned Coccidiosis. If your chickens have Coccidiosis, you may want to start them on Corrid powder mixed in they're water. I would clean out the coops, wash down with bleach and dawn, and separate the sick from the healthy birds.

Corrid should be available at Tractor supply or most feed stores.

Cocci is caused mostly from chickens scratching in coops with too much poop, or them pooping in their water supply, ext... Worms live in highly pooped areas, and the chickens eat these worm's that live in the poop, and then the chickens get this disease in the lining of the intestines. Sometime's you may see blood in their poop, and it will be runny. Under roost area's is one of the most highly contaminated area's that are often overlooked. Poop build up is not good for raising healthy chickens.

There is lot's of good post on Cocci on this site that can tell more detail of this disease. Most birds with this will loose weight, stand by their self, stare into space, look sickly, are non active, and have runny poop. The comb and wattles will be pale, and over time they die from lost of weight and dehydration, and sometimes internal bleeding.

Replacing their water with pedialyte or gatorade mixed 50/50 with water, a lil sugar, and the corrid powder, This will help re-hydrate them. If they don't want to drink, you can use a feeder tube with the squeeze bulb like the ones used to give children liquid meds. This should be done at least 5 or 6 times a day, if they don't drink fluids or eat.

You can also mix yogert with a lil water or milk and feed them. This is a good addition to the other fluids, and will help re-gain weight.

Saving chickens that have lost most their weight will be a uphill battle. It can be done, but you will have to force feed them until they recover. It's like a dog with parvo, death is caused by dehydration, and lost of blood sugar levels.

Good Luck

Last edited:
O god I hope it isn't coccidiosis..
I have three chickens so I can't be sure who the poop belongs to but they all seem to be acting normal. Do they start acting sickly before or after they start passing bloody stools?

They can have it for weeks without symptoms showing. I would think bloody poop would be half way or more down the road. Sometimes they don't pass blood. I saw this in a friends flock 7 or 8 years ago. He bought hen's at a swop that had it. He lost about 50% of his flock before getting it under control.

Last edited:
It may be intestinal lining but if in any doubt at all you would be wise to treat for coccidiosis just because if that's what this is it can be lethal very fast. However it is very easily controlled if treated early. So do not panic, just treat them to be on the safe side. If it's not cocci the treatment does absolutely no harm.

Corid is found in most feed stores, often in the cattle dept. It is labeled for calves. Do not give anything else in the water while you are treating, especially not vitamins. Corid acts by starving the cocci protozoa of thiamin. You also do not want to give yogurt during treatment, wait until after they have finished the full 5 days. Yogurt and buttermilk help to coat the intestine, which is fine if you are trying to buy time until you can get the Corid but it can also slow the effectiveness of the Corid once you start it.

The cocci protozoa live in the soil so you will never get rid of it. Adult chickens generally have some cocci in their gut but they do develop immunity to the strains in their environment. It never hurts to thoroughly clean your coop out but you will never rid the environment of the cocci. And bleach will not kill it, ammonia however will.

The Corrid will not hurt your flock. I have seen several bad losses due to Cocci in my 30 plus years raising chickens, ducks, and Geese.
Everyone seems to have their own way to practice healing with Med's, Corrid is Corrid, The bleeding of intestines can coat a intestine, as will all the bacteria that has built up over the birds life. I have not read of no one using pedialyte or such fluids, but I did when I helped my friend save his flock around 2005. We used yogert blended with cooked rice, sugar (entergy booster) followed with pedilyte with corrid. The corrid will still do it's job, at the same time a dying bird needs nourishment to heal. You don't want just liquids running thru leaving diarrhea. Diarrhea will drain the life out of any living creature over time. Food slows everything down so the body can nourish itself. If it just runs thru, you have nothing. Some people use ash capsules , I don't. Ashes don't have any nourishment. It only slows the bleeding the same as food.

These birds die of starvation, dehydration, and sometimes intestinal bleeding.

I would also use duramycin-10 Tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder as antibiotic. This will not hurt, and will help clear up any infection accompanied with illness.

I have been using dawn and bleach in my own pens, coops, brooders, incubators, and poultry tools since late 1970's Bleach kills bacteria. It is used in water supplies as chlorine, and swimming pool. Bleach kills bacteria from urine, the same as it kept my farm safe from disease for many years.

I use 1/2 cup of bleach in bath water after being in swamps or marsh with stagnant water. It stops the itch after soaking. It also helps athletes feet, and poison ivory at early stages. It kills bacteria. (.)

Looks like intestinal lining,but if you are concerned treat with Corid(amprolium). Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,spread by dropping which get into feed water via droppings. Most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines only becomes a problem if they have an overload/outbreak,then we medicate to bring it back under control. Cocci can be spread by wild birds,adding new chickens to flock,bringing it into area on your own clothes/hands/shoes,etc. Treating with Corid for Cocci will not harm your birds. Some symptoms of cocci are:runny/watery poop,may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss. DO NOT give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Thanks everyone.. I ordered corid online as the feed store didn't have any so it should be here by Saturday and I'll start them on it right away. All three chickens are acting normal and not losing weight or anything and eating fine. Their poops are not runny but that one piece if poo had red on it which really worried me. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center so I try not to wear the same shoes I'd wear over there in my backyard but it is possible that I may have done so by accident. I'll check their poops tomorrow and watch them. I ordered the 9.6% liquid corid so it's two teaspoons to a gallon, right? For 5 days? I just wanna make sure..

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.. I ordered corid online as the feed store didn't have any so it should be here by Saturday and I'll start them on it right away. All three chickens are acting normal and not losing weight or anything and eating fine. Their poops are not runny but that one piece if poo had red on it which really worried me. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab center so I try not to wear the same shoes I'd wear over there in my backyard but it is possible that I may have done so by accident. I'll check their poops tomorrow and watch them. I ordered the 9.6% liquid corid so it's two teaspoons to a gallon, right? For 5 days? I just wanna make sure..
Yes,2 tsp per gallon is the correct dose. Treat ALL chickens. Always a good idea to have Corid in chicken first aid kit.

Ok so at this point, I'm pretty sure my girls don't have coccidiosis. They're eating, drinking and acting normal and I haven't seen any more bloody poos since that first one. Regardless, I put 0.5 teasp of liquid corid into each of their quart sized water bottles (2) and that's their only water source. I agree it's a good med to have on hand incase of an emergency, I want to start putting a first aid kit together for them just incase. Thanks everyone for helping :)

Back
Top Bottom