Bloody rump from chickens pulling out my hen's feathers

jessicaanne85

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
I have 8, 4 or 5 week old chicks. I believe they are all hens - although we are thinking one might be a rooster and one is actually a guinea hen...Just yesterday only one of my chicks was being picked on by the others. Her tail was picked bald on one side and she was all raw and bloody. What would be causing this new behavior, what can I do to stop it, and what can I do to patch up my little hen? Last night I separated them into two brooders, and this morning it is not raw anymore, but I'm worried that she might still be in pain and that when I put them all back together they will start picking on her again. Is the brooder too small of them? Are they bored? Not getting enough food (they are never without food, although yesterday morning they had knocked over their food dish in the night and it was empty in the morning)? Thank you!!

They might have kept picking at it just because they tasted the blood. I'd keep her seperated until she's healed up. Spray her with some Blue Kote or other wound spray, and keep an eye on it. Once she's healed up they'll probably stop the picking. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom