Bloody vents withing last 2 days, affected 7 individuals, 5 months old, URGENT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by -Chicken-, Nov 27, 2012.

1. -Chicken-

-Chicken- New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have a flock of 25 five month old hens that just started laying recently, I also have one rooster of the same age, and one six year old hen. Two days ago I noticed that one of the hens had a large amount of blood around her vent; I separated her from the others and cleaned the affected area. Today she looked much better, and in the past two days has laid two eggs. I was forced to return her to the flock when I found three more hens in similar condition, one almost unconscious, other two doing rather well. At the same time that I found these three (P.M.) I found one hen dead. Late this evening when I went out I found that an additional 4 or 5 had bloody vents. I’m really worried at this point; I’ve never encountered anything like this before in all of the flocks I’ve raised over the years. I started looking online for possible causes when I discovered the first case, at first I thought egg retention or frail eggs breaking internally (the first hen laid fine after I separated her and I haven’t found evidence of smashed eggs in the coop). I now wonder if it is prolapse, I wouldn’t describe the vent as protruding just bloody. It seems weird that this is happening to half the flock though. About a week ago I noticed that the chickens (male and female) were shaking their heads in response to noise (ie. talking, whistling, etc.) could this have something to do with the problem. I really need help, and thanks for any information you could provide.

2. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds serious, but I got nothing. Sounds like a medical mystery! Good luck!

3. FlyHigher

FlyHigher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2012
    no clue what happened to your chickens.
    Food poison or nutritional deficiencies is my best guess.
    I would give them some vitamins as a start.

4. -Chicken-

-Chicken- New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    No new casualties this morning, thank goodness. What ever this is still seems to be effecting only the Columbian Wyandottes and the Speckled Sussexes.

The hen that I found in bad shape last night is stable; I can't get her to drink and her vent still looks in bad shape (a little white liquid feces has passed). Should I treat her for egg retention, with the warm bath? Will this be detrimental if it's not egg retention?

Just looking for anything I can do to help her.

Thanks for you thoughts and ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by