Blooie's Blankie Fort

Get yourself a bigger coop and run....
lol.png
Yess!!! lol

Errr..No.
Don't count (name) your chickens before they hatch!
I'm with him.......

Though, I do plan to name my first showgirl (if I ever manage to find some) Lola and hang a sign on my silkie coop that says "Coopacabana". And my Roo will be "Tony" of course.

Last edited:
I call them all Chicken, so when I walk in the shed and say "Hi Chickens", they all think I'm talking to them. I once was a Dairy Farmer, we had to name all the cows and heifers calves, I ran out of names long ago.

I just set eggs for the first time ever today. (quail) I enjoy watching your posts. (I lurk a lot) I am originally from Casper, so I like seeing a fellow Wyomingite.

Hi Blooie:

I was looking at your thread on the Mama heating pad cave. I'm seriously thinking about trying that out this year if I have a successful hatch. I'm looking at my outside thermometer rite now and its reading 50 degrees here on the coast of Maine. So the middle of April should not be a problem at all, especially where you said it worked for you down around zero. It would be good to get the little buggers outside and not have to deal with the dust.
I also noticed you were using vertical water nipples in your brooder. Can you introduce new chicks to them right from day one ? What do you do just touch their beak to the nipple instead of dipping their beak into a regular water container when you first put them in the brooder ? I like to use horizontal nipples when ever I can. How long before you can transition to those. Sorry for all the questions, I'll have you chomping right down on the Oreo's getting crumbs all through your blankie fort if i'm not careful. lol

I've been on today, but I haven't. Out and about so I look in with my phone but hate to post with it! Anyway, lemme catch up. (Mama Heating Pad thread is going to take a couple of hours and a lot of coffee!)

I just set eggs for the first time ever today. (quail) I enjoy watching your posts. (I lurk a lot) I am originally from Casper, so I like seeing a fellow Wyomingite.
Well, come on in and set yourself down. (You didn't try sneaking in any Legos, did you?)

Hi Blooie:

I was looking at your thread on the Mama heating pad cave. I'm seriously thinking about trying that out this year if I have a successful hatch. I'm looking at my outside thermometer rite now and its reading 50 degrees here on the coast of Maine. So the middle of April should not be a problem at all, especially where you said it worked for you down around zero. It would be good to get the little buggers outside and not have to deal with the dust.
I also noticed you were using vertical water nipples in your brooder. Can you introduce new chicks to them right from day one ? What do you do just touch their beak to the nipple instead of dipping their beak into a regular water container when you first put them in the brooder ? I like to use horizontal nipples when ever I can. How long before you can transition to those. Sorry for all the questions, I'll have you chomping right down on the Oreo's getting crumbs all through your blankie fort if i'm not careful. lol
I always start new chicks on vertical nipple waterers. I don't think they have to push quite as hard to get the mechanism to trip as they do with the horizontal, and as soon as I know they are doing well on the vertical (usually 4-5 days or so) then they go the horizontal bucket. There doesn't seem to be but a moment's confusion before they are handling that just as well. I put the waterer in and watch them for a few minutes. Usually one will finally wander over and trip it, find the water, and repeat. The others watch, come over to investigate and PRESTO - training camp over. I always hate the idea of grabbing a chick (and I don't care how gentle you are, to them it's still grabbing!) and forcing him to try the vertical nipples. Seems to me that with his little head extended upward to drink it would be pretty easy for a drop to run down the beak and into the nostrils. Don't want that. But I will trip that mechanism with my fingernail to get their attention a few times to get them interested. It usually works pretty fast. They'll get it.

I've been on today, but I haven't.  Out and about so I look in with my phone but hate to post with it!  Anyway, lemme catch up.  (Mama Heating Pad thread is going to take a couple of hours and a lot of coffee!)  

Well, come on in and set yourself down.  (You didn't try sneaking in any Legos, did you?)

I always start new chicks on vertical nipple waterers.  I don't think they have to push quite as hard to get the mechanism to trip as they do with the horizontal, and as soon as I know they are doing well on the vertical (usually 4-5 days or so) then they go the horizontal bucket. There doesn't seem to be but a moment's confusion before they are handling that just as well.  I put the waterer in and watch them for a few minutes.  Usually one will finally wander over and trip it, find the water, and repeat.  The others watch, come over to investigate and PRESTO - training camp over.  I always hate the idea of grabbing a chick (and I don't care how gentle you are,  to them it's still grabbing!) and forcing him to try the vertical nipples.  Seems to me that with his little head extended upward to drink it would be pretty easy for a drop to run down the beak and into the nostrils.  Don't want that.  But I will trip that mechanism with my fingernail to get their attention a few times to get them interested.  It usually works pretty fast.  They'll get it.

Are you going to start frisking us to make sure nobody has hidden legos? :lau

Back
Top Bottom