Blooie's Blankie Fort

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blooie, Mar 21, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine is The Birdcage (because of my pretty-boy Armand)

I made a lighted sign:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Awesome!! I'm thinking if I can find my thing, of doing a woodburning sign.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks! [​IMG]

My original plan was to mount it inside the run, above the coops, but it turned out to be ALOT of light! So I hung it outside. The light projects more into the yard, instead of inside the run.

1 person likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How's the progress Blooie? How many times a day are you turning your eggs?

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    The big incubator has an automatic turner so I don't turn those. It does a real good job, slow and steady and frequently. The Brinsea I move from upright, to down on the back side, then to the front, the back to the center so those are turned 3 times a day. With the bad air cells, I hesitate to turn them a lot.

They aren't looking good. Most of the floating air cells never did re-attach, a few of those that did are saddle shaped, and over 1/2 the eggs are now sporting large, obvious blood rings. There are at least 4 clears, one that had an almost invisible crack in it, and a couple that some of the more expert hatchers have called "funky looking." I'm sad, but hold out hope for the 5 or 6 that still have signs of life. I haven't pulled out my book and marked which are bad and which are good because I might see something new when I candle on Day 10, which is tomorrow. I think some of us are just not cut out to do this. Temps on all the thermometers are pretty steady at 99.5 and humidity is holding well at 45 - 50%. The ones I'm still thinking might make it are Green Magnolias and Olive Eggers. The Marans (both the Black and the Blue), the Cream Legbars, the Ameri-flowers and the Bielefelders all look pretty much gone.

[​IMG]
    Too many look like this. Ignore the red line at the top - Ken grabbed the fine point red sharpie in the dark instead of the black one that I wanted to use to mark air cells. But you can't ignore the red line at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    This is one of the bad air cells. Photo is a little blurry, sorry.

7. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Hang in there, Blooie. I don't understand what is happening, I know nothing about the process, but wouldn't it be normal for a proportion of eggs not to hatch?

8. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    The blood rings are definitely goners, sorry!! But I had some really bad air cells on my last batch and I had 26 of 30 hatch. So don't give up on those!!!!

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Nope, not yet....[​IMG] Any that I'm not sure of stay!

10. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    That is what I do. People say some eggs go bad and might explode, but that must be so rare, and I would think it would be a cracked shell or something that could cause that. I have left questionable eggs in all the way to hatch date, and never had trouble.

Good luck!!! I'm setting a bunch more tonight, then more on Tuesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by