BLR. How?

kagedgoddess

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
virginia
Do you use a GL roo over a SL hen? Or the othervway around? Does it matter? Do the colors breed true the first time or does it take a few gens? Dh wants to give it a go.

If I remember correctly you could use gold laced and breed to a mahogony until you get the desired red laced bird then breed in blue to the red laced. Will take several generations to get there if wanting a real blr and not a glr. Brassiness will have to be culled out heavilly keeping only the best birds.

to get good blr it would likely take 4-5 gens or more, and a LOT of cull birds, would be better off to just buy some, and you would produce a lot less culls going that route...why reinvent the wheel?

Last edited:
Well dh enjoys this kindof thing and he likes the blrw he sees. But i like the crested breeds so we were thinking of tryingnit with polish. He is. I have No idea on any of this. I just like the colors and if it gets dh even further involved with my chickens, im happy. Ive never seen it with polish. Im not worried about culls or hatching lots of chicks cuz then maybe i can get a better bigger incubator. Lol. And i seem to have a market for polish.
We had found somewhere it said SL to GL makes Blr But i didnt see how that would show up in offspring. I have lots of muts. Mixing the lace seems to make spangles.
Thanks for the help!

First, you need a breed that actually has lacing available. And mahogany or blue.

Second, as said - It will take many, many generations and hard culling, but you basically need to introduce mahogany into gold laced, so it is red. Then you introduce blue to replace the black.

Back
Top Bottom