BLRW crossed with Dominique/BCM? What will I get.

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hi all!
If I cross a Dominique rooster to a BLRW hen, will the barring override the lacing and result in all black and white barred chicks? So far that's the only thing I've been getting out of my dom. What about Black Copper Marans over BLRW? Will the resulting bird be laced? Will the black be dominant or will some of the hens color come through?

Thanks, interested in hatching one of these crosses, especially the BCM x BLRW one!

For the dominique x BLRW, you will get barring, but you might get some blue barring instead of the plain black barring (you will get some black barred too). For the BCM x BLRW, you will get some blue chickens and some black chickens. They might be laced or incomplete laced. I would try the crosses. You might get some really cool hybrids.

For the dominique x BLRW, you will get barring, but you might get some blue barring instead of the plain black barring (you will get some black barred too). For the BCM x BLRW, you will get some blue chickens and some black chickens. They might be laced or incomplete laced. I would try the crosses. You might get some really cool hybrids.
Thanks for your reply!

Blue barring sounds fascinating! As well as blue birds out of the BCM x BLRW. I already have a lot of black in my flock, so I'll probably sell or cull those.

Hi all!
If I cross a Dominique rooster to a BLRW hen, will the barring override the lacing and result in all black and white barred chicks? So far that's the only thing I've been getting out of my dom. What about Black Copper Marans over BLRW? Will the resulting bird be laced? Will the black be dominant or will some of the hens color come through?

Thanks, interested in hatching one of these crosses, especially the BCM x BLRW one!
Did you ever do this cross?

Yes, I did one of them. The Dominique x BLRW came out to be a dark grey, barred chick. I didn't keep him/her into adulthood though so I wouldn't know whether the lacing came through or not in some way. I also made a RIR x BLRW, but I didn't make the BCM x BLRW (I decided that my BCM cockerel was too poor quality for my flock, so I sold him and his siblings). The RIR x BLRW has promise for partial lacing and was hatched as a brown chick with chipmunk stripes.

Here is the RIR X BLRW chick:
IMG_7425_LI.jpg

And here is the DOM x BLRW:
IMG_6310_LI.jpg

@FeatherTray, I didn't keep that particular dark blue chick, but I did hatch a pullet of the same cross (Dominique x Blue Laced Red Wyandotte) not too long ago. Here are some photos:
IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

I love the blue barring! What's also nice is that she has that pretty, darker lacing around her feathers. No red, as predicted. Her rose comb is coming in nicely, not rough at all.

I also hatched several males, but they were not as nice. Here is a blue barred male (though it's rather hard to tell he's blue because it's very dark):
IMG_0505.JPG

And a black-barred male:
IMG_1473.JPG

I wound up culling both of those, along with another black-barred male from the same cross. The males did not show any evidence of the darker lacing that was present in the female.

Pics of the parents.
Sire:
IMG_9696.JPG

Dam:
BLRW.JPG

Hopefully this helps anyone who is looking to make the same cross!

Back
Top Bottom