BLRW - when should I see saddle feathers? (new pics post #10)

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm stumped...
hide.gif

I have two BLRW roos from the same hatching, they are just over 11 weeks old now.

They've both had bright red combs and developed wattles at the same age, about 6 weeks ago - so I know they are both boys.

However, one is developing nice shiny saddle feathers, pointy shiny neck feathers and longer tail feathers while the other has NO saddle feathers, rounded neck feathers and a shorter tail - it's like a hen's body with a roo's head - neither boy is sporting huge godzilla legs either, so it's hard to tell what's going on here
hu.gif

Is one just developing hormones faster than the other?

Should I expect to see saddle feathers this young?

Last edited:
Most likely it is a slow maturing cock... I have one that still had his down when all the others had all their feathers! He had the waddles and comb to go with the boy feet but had a fuzzy butt!!! Very odd but he now has all his feathers and is slowly catching up in everything else!! Love to see photos!!

OK I took some pics this morning and I think I answered my own question... pretty sure it's a slow-maturing cockeral as I think I see the beginnings of saddle feathers? and some pointy neck feathers? With wattles & comb that big and red, pretty sure it's NOT a girl!!

He is 12 weeks old now (I re-checked birth date)... 100% boy?

DSC_0005-8.jpg

DSC_0016-8.jpg

DSC_0018-7.jpg

DSC_0017-14.jpg

The boy in question is on the right, his hatch-mate brother is on the left (150% roo that one!)

DSC_0007-8.jpg

The definite roo brother, from the same hatching... see how differently they are maturing? is this normal?

DSC_0022-6.jpg

Last edited:
You have some nice looking BLRW.
smile.png

It looks like the one you where questioning about could posibly go either way.. but my guess is boy.

Yep!! He's a boy!! Looks really nice!! I Like his neck color better than the faster maturing bro!!! Both Beautiful though!!

I have no idea which one to keep - the nicer colored one (who has the proper yellow legs) isn't as sweet/friendly as the one with more orangey-red on his neck & body...

Isn't this always the case?
barnie.gif
LOL

14 weeks old now... will I ever see saddle feathers on this boy??

I secretely keep wishing he's some kind of mutated, fast-maturing girl!
lol.png

DSC_0032-1.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0047-3.jpg

DSC_0056-2.jpg

DSC_0054-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom