BLRW - when should I see saddle feathers? (new pics post #10)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by technodoll, Jun 15, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm stumped... [​IMG]

I have two BLRW roos from the same hatching, they are just over 11 weeks old now.

They've both had bright red combs and developed wattles at the same age, about 6 weeks ago - so I know they are both boys.

However, one is developing nice shiny saddle feathers, pointy shiny neck feathers and longer tail feathers while the other has NO saddle feathers, rounded neck feathers and a shorter tail - it's like a hen's body with a roo's head - neither boy is sporting huge godzilla legs either, so it's hard to tell what's going on here [​IMG]

Is one just developing hormones faster than the other?

Should I expect to see saddle feathers this young?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    anyone? please? [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pictures?

Maybe you just have a fast developing hen? (or a slow developing cockeral) It's hard to tell without pics.

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Right... I'll get some pics tomorrow or Friday, as soon as it stops raining!

Thank you! [​IMG]

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    Most likely it is a slow maturing cock... I have one that still had his down when all the others had all their feathers! He had the waddles and comb to go with the boy feet but had a fuzzy butt!!! Very odd but he now has all his feathers and is slowly catching up in everything else!! Love to see photos!!

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OK I took some pics this morning and I think I answered my own question... pretty sure it's a slow-maturing cockeral as I think I see the beginnings of saddle feathers? and some pointy neck feathers? With wattles & comb that big and red, pretty sure it's NOT a girl!!

He is 12 weeks old now (I re-checked birth date)... 100% boy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boy in question is on the right, his hatch-mate brother is on the left (150% roo that one!)

[​IMG]

The definite roo brother, from the same hatching... see how differently they are maturing? is this normal?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    You have some nice looking BLRW. [​IMG]
    It looks like the one you where questioning about could posibly go either way.. but my guess is boy.

8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    Yep!! He's a boy!! Looks really nice!! I Like his neck color better than the faster maturing bro!!! Both Beautiful though!!

9. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I have no idea which one to keep - the nicer colored one (who has the proper yellow legs) isn't as sweet/friendly as the one with more orangey-red on his neck & body...

Isn't this always the case? [​IMG] LOL

10. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    14 weeks old now... will I ever see saddle feathers on this boy??

I secretely keep wishing he's some kind of mutated, fast-maturing girl! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by