Blu-Kote Warning

I've had a remarkable experience with gentian violet spray when I was overseas. I rescued a young monkey who was kept as a " pet"- chained to a tree with a dog- chain around her waist. As the monkey grew, the owner never listened to chain , so it became embedded in the skin. Horrible to see, and it smelled bad.

I found a vet who normally treated livestock, and who was used to me bringing all sorts of critters in... And she removed the chain, shaved the area and sprayed it with purple stuff. Didn't seem to hurt at all . Within two days the majority of those horrible lesions were healed . Purple faded eventually.

I will not hesitate to use it on a minor wound for a chicken or to prevent pecking by others .

I never understood what the obsession with Blu-Kote was on the forum. It serves no purpose except to dehydrate skin and dye feathers. No healing or repellant advantage with that product. If that is your goal, Blu-Kote is for you.

It does have antiseptic properties. But there apparently is a psychological benefit with chickens too. Chickens can be mean. If they see a weakness... Like a bald patch or blood.. On a flock-mate, they will peck it to bits or worse. Seems that disguising the wound or bald spot deters this pecking. I would be willing to give it a try.

I wish I would have seen this discussion sooner! I just used it on my roosters feet,now he has purple feet and the others wouldn't leave him alone :(

I had recently looked on line to see what to do about my hens eating or pecking the feathers off of one hen right in front of her tail.Blu-kote was suggested as a deterrent for the other hens, so I tried it.  After I put it on the hen she ran around the coop like she was really hurting, and all the other chickens were suddenly very interested it pecking the blue patch on her back.  I think the Blu-kote made the situation much worse.  For now I have separated her from the rest of the girls. 
This is exactly what happened to me this evening with my 3 week old chicks
1f622.png
first a bully was pecking at the new feathers coming in, then they all started pecking at the Red spots, so blu kote was applied, but then everyone started pecking at the blue spots!
Didn't help my flock :(

I had recently looked on line to see what to do about my hens eating or pecking the feathers off of one hen right in front of her tail.Blu-kote was suggested as a deterrent for the other hens, so I tried it. After I put it on the hen she ran around the coop like she was really hurting, and all the other chickens were suddenly very interested it pecking the blue patch on her back. I think the Blu-kote made the situation much worse. For now I have separated her from the rest of the girls.

Shoot! I wish I would have read this BEFORE I just did exactly what you did for exactly the same reason and had exactly the same thing happen! :(

I have used BluKote many times, and have always had good luck with it. Nustock cream from feed stores is very good to use as well--it is nontoxic, tastes bad when pecked, hides wounds, and is healing.

Oh my, oh my, I am laughing so hard at your unfortunate accident. I am certain this will happen to my husband and I. We are desperate with RIRs pecking each others tails like crazy. Nothing has helped --- peepers (blinders) nope they adjusted to the challenge, rooster no pick --- didn't last long enough and was a complete mess. Our girls are simply wild women and flail like crazy when they are picked up and don't like something. So, yes, I can visualize this happening. I will however be trying this --- I am running out of ideas.

Thanks for sharing and especially brightening my morning with your purple dotted face.

Gray Sand Peas,
Marcie

I have eight Hens, one who was attacked by a raccoon. Blue Kote has an antibiotic in it. The Color Blue is deterrent to which Hens will pick and are attracted to red - blood-----yes it stains, but has ben very successful with my ladies, and healing.

Back
Top Bottom