Blue’s bumblefoot

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So before and after pics (first is before, next 2 are after and taken tonight) After about 3 or so epsom salt treatments am hoping it’s looking better

After the first epsom salt treatment there was blood and pus seeping from each area. Squeezed each a bit and more blood And pus came out

now very little, to no blood or pus comes out and nothing when I squeeze on them

sparkles, my other rescue duck just had injuries on her feet and not bumblefoot so this is my first time treating it and I’ve read the thread here on it but am not sure what good progress would look like.

Attachments

• D17E93EF-50FF-4977-BC03-459440C00440.jpeg
    D17E93EF-50FF-4977-BC03-459440C00440.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 703BAEFC-D414-432B-9B22-9C80E18B4389.jpeg
    703BAEFC-D414-432B-9B22-9C80E18B4389.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 17
  • C0DD7ED8-523F-498C-B1EA-9B24B0DD17CE.jpeg
    C0DD7ED8-523F-498C-B1EA-9B24B0DD17CE.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 19
It could be the angles, but the main foot pad base looks to have shrunken in size considerably after you messed with it, and it's good to hear that you got some puss out. A lot of times you'll end up hemorrhaging the area, so don't worry about that too much.

I wouldn't be so concerned of the two swelled parts, on her right, and left toe, as much as I would be on her base footpad. All of them need to be taken care of, but I would be focused on the base sore. Looking at the picture, it does appear there is still a little scab/necrotic filled plug, which generally should always be taken out, to enhance healing. If you continue to soak for a few more days, the scab should loosen up well, to the point you can gently tear it off with a pair of tweezers.

Ensure the water has plenty of salts, as that will help penetrate into the scab, and kill any non-halophilic bacteria. Bandaging should be done n the foot, to reduce pressure to the sores, and prevent subsequent infection until the areas heal.

It could be the angles, but the main foot pad base looks to have shrunken in size considerably after you messed with it, and it's good to hear that you got some puss out. A lot of times you'll end up hemorrhaging the area, so don't worry about that too much.

I wouldn't be so concerned of the two swelled parts, on her right, and left toe, as much as I would be on her base footpad. All of them need to be taken care of, but I would be focused on the base sore. Looking at the picture, it does appear there is still a little scab/necrotic filled plug, which generally should always be taken out, to enhance healing. If you continue to soak for a few more days, the scab should loosen up well, to the point you can gently tear it off with a pair of tweezers.

Ensure the water has plenty of salts, as that will help penetrate into the scab, and kill any non-halophilic bacteria. Bandaging should be done n the foot, to reduce pressure to the sores, and prevent subsequent infection until the areas heal.

Cool that’s what I’ve been doing. Will keep it up then. Appreciate all your help

So on one foot it’s mostly cleared up. Her other foot here still has some areas where that scab on the bump on her heel (the one on her toe came off today and I got pus out of it) just won’t loosen up at all. It has around the edges but just won’t come off.

For the lumps where there is no scab anymore but still some lumps, will those be ok? Do I need to lance them and get more pus out? Or will they disappear with more treatments?

Also anyone have a tip for wrapping a ducks foot? It’s a 2 person job for Blue..

usually I can hold her and keep her relatively calm while my wife bandages her foot, but sometimes she freaks out and jerks around and I’m afraid she might hurt herself

Attachments

• D62319D6-8467-43AD-B1A5-504AC6488FB6.jpeg
    D62319D6-8467-43AD-B1A5-504AC6488FB6.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 12
I know different ducks can be more feisty, so not sure if this would work for you, but I will describe my bandaging method. Since your duck is active, you might want to just wrap a small towel around her body to keep her wings down, and it might also calm her too. I sit on the ground and tuck my duck under my arm, let her stand on one foot, then gently pull the leg I'm working on up so I can see the bottom of the foot. If she squirms, I just hold it until she stops. She's kind of leaning on my leg at this point so she doesn't have to bare all her weight on the other foot. I put the gauze pad and ointments on then use one quite long piece of vet wrap - maybe 18 -20 inches. the key for me to getting it to stay in place and wrap so her foot stays flat, is to loosely bring the wrap around one side of her web. If you're trying to cover a bumble all the way up by her toe, maybe you would need more wrap and to go around both sides of the web. I'll attach some picture in hopes they might be helpful, but someone else might have some good advice as well. The bumble I've been treating is on the pad by the heel so this is working well for me. Others have had good look with neoprene booties. I tried that but ordered the wrong size and they also seemed hard to get one, but I know some love them.

IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG

Awesome thanks. Will try that today.

She seems more comfortable with me holding her and my wife wrapping her feet... but every so often she locks. But also tries to contort her body so spastically

Back
Top Bottom