Blue Ameraucana thread!

Can anyone post a photo of the difference between a blue Ameraucana and a lavender Ameraucana? I would love to see the color difference. It is hard to find photos online of what is what. Thanks!!

Can anyone post a photo of the difference between a blue Ameraucana and a lavender Ameraucana? I would love to see the color difference. It is hard to find photos online of what is what. Thanks!!
I would like to see the difference too, we are fostering a BLA right now and I can not see a difference between her and the Blues I posted a pic of our Gravy (we did not name her) I am also not really familiar with the breed so please share more about what physical characteristics we can look for as well as personality. We are new to chickens and have a Black sex link and a red star, 2 Buff Orpingtons, a Speckled Sussex as well as a New Hampshire Red this season and are looking forward to our first eggs from them in July (they are 12 weeks now). We are fostering a BO and this little BLA. They just came to us a couple of days ago and the BLA lays pretty little blue eggs and the Buffy has yet to lay, but I have heard that a move can cause them to stop laying for up to 2 weeks! My son may show this little girl for fair in August if she is still with us, but need to know if she is blue or lavender, as lavender is not considered a breed.

I just hatched my first 3 blue babies yesterday & today w/ one more to go in the bator
wee.gif
..... They are all different colors. One is yellow, one yellow , gray & black (much darker than others, & the last one is light gray & yellow. Is this normal & can you sex them by their colors ??? And if I do have a roo & breed it w/ a dark brown layer like a Maran will it produce olive egg layers????
hu.gif

I just hatched my first 3 blue babies yesterday & today w/ one more to go in the bator
wee.gif
..... They are all different colors. One is yellow, one yellow , gray & black (much darker than others, & the last one is light gray & yellow. Is this normal & can you sex them by their colors ??? And if I do have a roo & breed it w/ a dark brown layer like a Maran will it produce olive egg layers????
hu.gif

sounds like one blue ( the dark one ) and two splashes!

We have a lavender that we are fostering and thinking of showing her for breed at 4-h fair. Does anyone know if this is allowed because of her color? I posted her pic in an earlier post. She is a Bantam
Thanks for asking!! I am wondering the same thing. Our fair has a very intricate way of making entry forms. You have to specifically go by their color standards. Anyways, Self Blue is not listed as one of the colors for bantam Ameraucanas. Is it a recognized color yet?

I don't think Self Blue is a recognized color for ANY breed that can come in Self Blue...yet!
wink.png

Wonder what the offspring would look like if I bred my Lavender to my Blue rooster...would that create Self Blue? Not an expert on genetics here...

I don't think Self Blue is a recognized color for ANY breed that can come in Self Blue...yet!
wink.png

Wonder what the offspring would look like if I bred my Lavender to my Blue rooster...would that create Self Blue? Not an expert on genetics here...

Not quite right.
The APA recognizes Self Blue in Large Fowl & Bantam Old English Games as well as Belgian Bearded d'Anvers.
The ABA recognizes Self Blue in Belgian Bearded d'Anvers, Booted Bantams, Dutch Bantams, Japanese Bantams, Minorca Bantams, Modern Game Bantams & Old English Game Bantams.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom