Blue and Lavender Ice genetics?

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
Can someone explain it to me? I ordered a pair of assorted americans from holderread so I am not sure if I will get blues, lavender ice or one of each.

the way it was explained to me when I asked about it was that with the assorted it is whatever hatches that day so it could be a matched pair or not.

It will likely be what they have left over. You may get all blues, all lavender, or a mix. When two American blues breed, you can get both lavender ice and blue goslings. When you breed two lavender ice geese, you get only lavender ice goslings. If you breed a blue and a lavender I think you still only get lavender ice. I may be mistaken on that one and am only going off memory.

I have 6 week old American Blues and they are a real delight! The gander is the more outgoing of the two. He has a small Dutch Hookbill duck as a sidekick! You will love these goslings!

Last edited:
I don't believe you will get lavenders from blue x blue.
Blue and lavender are two separate genes so unless both the
blues carry a lavender gene you will not get lavenders.

You can ask Dave if your blues have lavender behind them and I am sure he will know. I have had some lavenders out of 2 blue parents. I have lavender turkeys to which are the same color as the lavender ice also the same as lilac according to the ALBC.

Last edited:
Hmm... this is a tough one as it depends on the interpretation of Lavender Ice. Is it a genetic silver or does it also have the buff gene???

My interpretation is a Blue has one Blue gene (heterozygous for Blue) and Lavender Ice has two Blue genes (homozygous for Blue). I'll be very interested in your reply.

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
In turkeys, lilac and lavender is completely different. Lilac is 2 'doses' of lavender over a bronze base, lavender is 2 'doses' of lavender over a slate base.

Back
Top Bottom