Blue and Lavender Ice genetics?

Quote:
In turkeys, lilac and lavender is completely different. Lilac is 2 'doses' of lavender over a bronze base, lavender is 2 'doses' of lavender over a slate base.

You are very right.

Here in the UK my understanding would be different but it depends how the colours would be defined in the States? In simplistic terms;

A bird thats has one Blue gene would be visually a Blue.
A bird that has two Blue genes would be visually a Lavender.
A Buff that has one Blue gene would be visually a Lilac.

So what would be a bird's visual colour be called in the States if it is;

A Buff that has two Blue genes?????????????

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree this is becoming a very interesting thread
cool.png

I did ask Holderreads a similar question myself a little while ago.

They replied; "Lavender is the interaction of 2 different loci; Blue is the result of a single locus and Gray is the foundation color."

Pete
wink.png

If I recall, I remember reading somewhere that Dave did research on Blue genes in geese because geese color genetics are very different from ducks and chickens. I read a lot but can't always remember where I extracted the info from.

Quote:
ummmm...interpretation please.

This is MY interpretation and may be incorrect. Basically the genes for colour are found in pairs. An allele is simply a single variation of this gene and occupies a certain position (or locus) on that gene. In this case we are discussing the Blue gene (often coded as Bl) and this is referred to as autosomal gene which exhibitis partial dominance. Put more simply it is not a sex linked gene and the incomplete dominance means it can produce two levels of Blue colour.

The statement was; "Lavender is the interaction of 2 different loci; Blue is the result of a single locus and Gray is the foundation color."

So interpreting this statement it is saying that a Blue results from a single allele at one position (locus). Therefore the foundation colour of Grey has one partially dominant allele for Blue and its genotype would be written as; Bl, bl. The single partially dominant allele (Bl - written as a capital to represent dominance) changes the grey goose to a visual Blue. It is said to be Heterozygous for the Blue gene (meaning it has 2 different alleles - Bl and bl).

Now if the grey goose inherited a Blue gene from each parent then it would be Homozygous for the Blue gene and its genetic code for blue could be written as Bl, Bl. It has a pair of Blue genes. One allele occupying a locus on a gene from the father and one allele occupying a locus on a gene inherited from the mother. As the bird has a pair of Blue genes then the full visual effect of the Blue gene is realised and the bird appears as an even lighter blue.

Think of it as; if one blue gene changes a Grey bird to a visual Blue, then the effect of an additional Blue gene changes a Blue bird to an even lighter colour sometimes refered to as a Silver (or is this Lavander)!

There's no easy way to explain it and as yet it is not certain what the genotype for a Lavender is. Is it the result of the bird being homozygous for the Blue gene or does the statement from Holderreads mean that Lavander is the result of Blue and Buff genes from different loci. Unfortunately the statement is not clear enough for me to make a decision and I have asked for further clarity.

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
ummmm...interpretation please.

This is MY interpretation and may be incorrect. Basically the genes for colour are found in pairs. An allele is simply a single variation of this gene and occupies a certain position (or locus) on that gene. In this case we are discussing the Blue gene (often coded as Bl) and this is referred to as autosomal gene which exhibitis partial dominance. Put more simply it is not a sex linked gene and the incomplete dominance means it can produce two levels of Blue colour.

The statement was; "Lavender is the interaction of 2 different loci; Blue is the result of a single locus and Gray is the foundation color."

So interpreting this statement it is saying that a Blue results from a single allele at one position (locus). Therefore the foundation colour of Grey has one partially dominant allele for Blue and its genotype would be written as; Bl, bl. The single partially dominant allele (Bl - written as a capital to represent dominance) changes the grey goose to a visual Blue. It is said to be Heterozygous for the Blue gene (meaning it has 2 different alleles - Bl and bl).

Now if the grey goose inherited a Blue gene from each parent then it would be Homozygous for the Blue gene and its genetic code for blue could be written as Bl, Bl. It has a pair of Blue genes. One allele occupying a locus on a gene from the father and one allele occupying a locus on a gene inherited from the mother. As the bird has a pair of Blue genes then the full visual effect of the Blue gene is realised and the bird appears as an even lighter blue.

Think of it as; if one blue gene changes a Grey bird to a visual Blue, then the effect of an additional Blue gene changes a Blue bird to an even lighter colour sometimes refered to as a Silver (or is this Lavander)!

There's no easy way to explain it and as yet it is not certain what the genotype for a Lavender is. Is it the result of the bird being homozygous for the Blue gene or does the statement from Holderreads mean that Lavander is the result of Blue and Buff genes from different loci. Unfortunately the statement is not clear enough for me to make a decision and I have asked for further clarity.

Pete
wink.png

The way you just described it makes me thing of black/blue/silver(splash) but in geese its completely different right?

Back
Top Bottom