Blue and Splash Orpingtons, differences and pictures please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tororider, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I am wondering what the difference is in appearance between blues and splashes. I am sure it is simple, but I was just wondering if anyone had pictures. Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A splash is basically a white bird with "accent" feathers. Here's Suede's brother as a chick, a splash. Then the same boy older. You can tell he is definitely not blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I love the coloring of the blues... and the splash!
    I had the same trouble with my silkies... what I thought was a blue was actually a lavendar... who woulda thunk it? [​IMG]

4. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Hey Tori,
    I thought lavender was a good thing, especially in orps. Is that a bad thing?

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I personally love all the colors, but for breeding purposes I need to know which is which. It makes a big difference when you think your black is a blue and visa versa!
    I don't have a lavendar orp, though... unless Speckledhen is holding out on me? [​IMG] I have blue orp eggs arriving (hopefully) tomorrow but we'll have to wait and see what hatches! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, sorry, Tori, my friend. I wish I'd had a nice surprise to put in that box for you, though! I do need to send you something, though. Maybe next week.... [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Oh no you don't... you sent me eggs!! [​IMG] I can't wait to hatch the little boogers! [​IMG]

8. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Speckled,
    So those pictures are all of the same chicken? Do you have any pics of a blue and splash next to each other? Thanks so much.

9. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I haven't told her yet so I suppose now is a good time. One of Velvet's eggs has pipped and I am anxiously waiting for the other one and the one from Skye. Woot!
    Looking for a baby Suede! Yes, I am!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Me next! Me next! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by