Blue Andalusian thread!

I'll share if I get anything out of this. I believe I have 24 eggs in.

It'll be Robin my splash roo crossed on Andalusian, speckled Sussex, black sex link, Australorp, and my largest EE hen. I marked all the eggs I knew that who layed them. There are a few extra possibilities that I grabbed up a Hamburg or Buttercup egg, but I didn't want to miss out on any of the Andalusian eggs. Might have one Favorelles egg in there too. Can't wait to build my second pen. My little white egg laying girls will get separated from the Andi hens. I need to get more leg bands too. Either going to do a color system or number, I'd prefer numbers so I can document better.

I have 3 Andalusian hens that are about 5 months old, 1 Blue and 2 Splash. They have not started laying yet. Anyway, I suspect that they may be mixed breed. The two Splash girls have developed some light brown/tan feathers, and one of them has feathers growing out on her legs. As far as I know, Andalusians should not have leg feathers. I will post some photos. Any ideas?

Last year I had two roos and some broodie hens. One of my Roos was BO and one was EE. I thought that since I have a natural incubator so why not?... This was just for fun... I did not think that I would get more then a couple of chicks so I gave each bird a lot of eggs. The chicken hen got 5 and my turkey hen got 8 chicken eggs. We had 9 babies hatch out. 2 for the chicken and 7 for then turkey. This has been so much fun... And of course we got some pure blood and some crosses. Since I had 2 roos... it has been kind of fun playing who's-your-daddy. :)
I got 4 roos out of our 9 babies. 2 are pure Andalusian. one is black and one is a splash. I have one BO/EE roo that is a beautiful blue and he is huge. The last roo is I believe BO/RIR... He is mostly black but you can see little splashes of red on his chest and wings if the sun hits him right. I really love how the EE/BO and the RIR cross came out. I may keep the RIR/BO roo...
Goodluck with your crosses Audiomilk... I can post a few pics if you would like to see what happened with mine...

Thanks Audiomilk... These are my boys... I thought I had more pics of them. I can try to get a few more later....

Black Andalusian

Splash

The one on the left is the EE cross

And this is my RIR cross. You can not see the red in him very well in this pic... Just a touch at the chest/neck area. There is a little on his wings as well. I think I may keep him just because he is pretty....:)
Thanks for asking to see the pics.... I hope you do try a cross or two. Please let me know what you do.

Hey! My husband and I will be the proud owners of a Blue Andalusian Cockerel (chick). I do not know much about this breed. It has been bugging me about having a mate of the same breed available, but I don't even know if I will really like him enough to breed him or have a female image of him. Help!!! I need some real advice on this breed and my farm. Will I want a new generation of Andalusians?

Also, I was wondering how well the girls lay. I have heard mixed reviews on everything. That is why I came here. Some say 2-3 a week and then I had an older could tell me that I they have and have had most of their hens lay 5-6/wk.

Mine are in the 5-6/week range.

Just to let you know... I don't know anyone who has had Andalusians and not liked them. The boys are generally sweet and both male and female are talkative and very curious. The girls are fairly aggressive toward each other. Once their pecking order is established, they co-exist fairly peacefully.

Mine are in the 5-6/week range.

Just to let you know... I don't know anyone who has had Andalusians and not liked them.  The boys are generally sweet and both male and female are talkative and very curious.  The girls are fairly aggressive toward each other.  Once their pecking order is established, they co-exist fairly peacefully.
cool to know. I was going to order pullet chicks from Meyer's (because I cannot find any locally), but they discouraged me by saying how flighty, skittish, loud, and they told me that they do not lay well. The lady that I spoke with also let me know that she was reading from a screen and really did not know.

Back
Top Bottom