Blue Barred Rocks?

Harborotter

Songster
5 Years
Dec 4, 2014
Washington State
My Barred Rock Roo mated with my Easter Eggers, hatchery Ameraucanas, and I produced what I can only describe as Blue Barred Rocks. They are definitely blues and they have a spot on the head and my oldest one is getting Barred wings. The other three just hatched today. I was wondering if thevspot means they are all Roos or if anyone has a similar cross. They're so pretty.

I think the mama that produced them was my splash hen and they definitely came from blue eggs.

Thank you for any responses. I will post pics if anyone is interested.

That cross is not sex linked, so no the head spot does not mean they are all male. Since the dad was the barred parent all the offspring inherited the barring gene.

And if the mother was splash, then they will all be blue. Splash x black = 100% blue offspring.

IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 6
They're going to be kept as pets. I just wasn't expecting to see chicks like this. I didn't think my hen was a true Splash as she is a hatchery bird. Plus it didn't dawn on me that the way coloring works in Ameraucanas would work with Barred Rocks.

They're going to be kept as pets. I just wasn't expecting to see chicks like this. I didn't think my hen was a true Splash as she is a hatchery bird. Plus it didn't dawn on me that the way coloring works in Ameraucanas would work with Barred Rocks.

Splash is just a bird with 2 copies of blue. The genetics of andalusian blue works the same no matter the breed.

Which comb type did they inherit?

IMG_0495.JPG
Yes, I have Paul Smith Blues and self blues. I just didn't think of Barred Rocks as being in the same color scheme.

And I only have the four chicks right now. I'm not not sure as that was the oldest one I posted pics of. I'll take another pic.

Well so far, I have hatched 14 of these blue Barred chicks. I think I have enough to start playing around.

I'm going to get another Barred Rock Roo to put over the hens in order to get the double barring in my next chick go round. Of course I have to wait for my current chicks to grow up.

I'm guessing my experiment is going to take a few years.

Back
Top Bottom