Blue Bird Brawl! WINNERS decided! Come say congrats!

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
Not actually a brawl at all, this is a contest for blue chickens! Here are the contestants so far! CLICK HERE.

Inspired by my love of my blue dog, Talli (over there in my avatar
wink.png
), I would love you to show off your blue chickens! Here are the guidelines:

What birds to include:
- This contest is for chickens only.
- One entry per contestant. (If you post pics of multiple birds, be sure to say which pictures comprise your official entry!)
- Show hens or roos. You can show chicks, but they should be fully feathered, not fuzzy butts.
tongue.png

- Birds should be Andalusian blue, as opposed to self-blue/lavender. This means a nice, consistent “blue” with darker edging or lacing. (When drafting this post, I came upon this recent thread you might reference, from post #8 and down.)
*Note: You can post pics of non-chicken birds or fuzzy butts if you like, but they won’t be included in the judging.

What to post:
- One picture of the whole chicken is required.
- You may optionally include artistic or detail shots of the bird, such as close-ups of the head or the feathers.
*Try to stick to 1-4 pictures. If you have a ton of pics, use the 320x240 size for ease of viewing.
- Also include (if known):
> Breed or breeds crossed
> Age
> Name
> Any additional information or details you would like to share!

Deadline, Judging, and Prizes:
- This contest will run from Sunday, June 12th to Saturday, June 25th.
- Winners will be announced Sunday, June 26th and prizes will be shipped the following Monday.
- Winners will be determined by a poll open to all BYC users in the Online Poultry Show area in a separate thread.
Judging will be based on:
> Overall appearance of health & vigor
> “Blue” appearance and lacing
> BYC user preference!
- First place will win a set of four blue hen-shaped dip bowls!
- Second place will win Building Chicken Coops: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-224 by Gail Damerow!
*The first-place winner can opt for the second-place prize instead if desired, in which case the second-place winner will receive the bowls.

First Place Prize, Bowls Second Place Prize, Booklet
80987_31qhq4xn3ll__sl500_aa300_.jpg
80987_building-chicken-coops.jpg

Sample Entry: (not part of the contest)

6-week old Easter Egger cockerel (unnamed)
80987_img_7800.jpg

80987_img_7798.jpg

Last edited:
She's beautiful!
love.gif

Sorry about the self-blue. I just wanted to simplify the judging; I thought it would be hard to decide between an amazing Andalusian blue and an amazing self-blue.

How about some more blue chickens!!!
pop.gif

Aphrodite, hatched Sept 2010, project result of Black over blue Silkie roo and black Rosecomb hen, she can turn those earlobes azure or pink depending on her mood:
25976_p140111_1542.jpg

behind her, one of her blue bantam brothers.

Here, Aphrodite shown with her mom, the black rosecomb hen and her dad, the blue Silkie (and her auntie EE the red hen):
25976_p190311_1852_01.jpg

ALSO, has anyone noticed that blue chickens tend to lay pink eggs? Aphrodite's eggs are pinkish beige, definitely more pink than the other hen's eggs!

6chickens in St. Charles :

Aphrodite, hatched Sept 2010, project result of Black over blue Silkie roo and black Rosecomb hen, she can turn those earlobes azure or pink depending on her mood: [...]

ALSO, has anyone noticed that blue chickens tend to lay pink eggs? Aphrodite's eggs are pinkish beige, definitely more pink than the other hen's eggs!

She's pretty! I can't believe it about those earlobes. I would love to see that! Any idea what mood goes with what earlobe color?
As for the eggs, I have no idea! Anyone???
pop.gif

Quote:
She's pretty! I can't believe it about those earlobes. I would love to see that! Any idea what mood goes with what earlobe color?
As for the eggs, I have no idea! Anyone???
pop.gif

Aphrodite's the second batch from this pair; her elder sister from the year before was Miss Fryer, who also laid a clearly pink egg, pinker than Aphrodite's:
25976_04242010501.jpg

But to me, Banjoejoe's cochin hen is the cutest thang I ever did see! Maybe I got to get me one of those.......... is she for real? Is that an embellished photo?

Back
Top Bottom