Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Looking for a job, my contract was not renewed at the end of December. On the plus side, I have able to care for my husband as he recovers from a two-month long battle with sepsis, resulting in 10 surgeries and a month long stay in hospital. On the not plus side, we are broke now and uncertain how long before we lose everything.
Thanks for stopping by! Hoping your husband recovers soon! Illness is difficult and being broke makes it moreso. Lots of good peeps here ready to listen and support others.

I still have chickens, around 30 hens and 2 roosters. I have lots of eggs but have several people who stop in and get them for $2.00 a dozen. I have never changed the price even when eggs were pretty high and maybe still are. Chickens are more of a hobby and give me something to do. Most are going into their second year of laying. I let them out most days for a short time. My daughter does not want them going into her new barn so I have limited their time out. That is probably what has saved them because we do have our dog and our neighbor's dogs that can't be trusted.
I have no small chicks this year but I do have two broody hens. The only way I would let them have little ones were if I go to TSC and get 3 female (hopefully) chicks for each.
It is nice to hear from you. I have been a little discouraged with the site since all the ads keep popping up. I do check it at times but really don't have much to contribute at this time. Thanks for the note.

I still have chickens, around 30 hens and 2 roosters. I have lots of eggs but have several people who stop in and get them for $2.00 a dozen. I have never changed the price even when eggs were pretty high and maybe still are. Chickens are more of a hobby and give me something to do. Most are going into their second year of laying. I let them out most days for a short time. My daughter does not want them going into her new barn so I have limited their time out. That is probably what has saved them because we do have our dog and our neighbor's dogs that can't be trusted.
I have no small chicks this year but I do have two broody hens. The only way I would let them have little ones were if I go to TSC and get 3 female (hopefully) chicks for each.
It is nice to hear from you. I have been a little discouraged with the site since all the ads keep popping up. I do check it at times but really don't have much to contribute at this time. Thanks for the note.
Thanks for the update!

Add popups are an annoyance for sure.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I had a big change in my life when my husband got sick. I was driving 100 mile round trip to take care of my chickens every other day during icy weather so I decided it was time for a break. I gave my flock to a friend. I am now a full time care giver and do not know if I will ever have chickens again. I really did enjoy the brief time of having those pretty blue green and brown eggs.

Hi, just checking in! I've been trying all Spring (not that we've had much of one in the UK) to grow separate areas of greenery for my girls and two boys and to try and develop rotational patches for them but have been fighting off the starlings, crows and pigeons who are seeing the benefits of the seeds and seedlings! My 20 birds have a good amount of room but I would so like them to have more greenery to forage on. We tried keeping them in our paddock with the llama and alpacas but they kept getting taken out by foxes (the llama was useless, I'm afraid). I feed them greens from the veggie gardens but it would be nice to get them foraging themselves. At least they benefit from plenty of protein from the numerous compost piles I have in their runs.
Thanks for the update! Sorry your llama was not a better guardian.

Yes, just like everyone else, I have been busy. I currently have 6 Exhibition Rhode Island Red hens. All doing well and laying. I lost my Fancy Tail Nancy and my rooster (Stu Bird) in the last year. Broke my heart horribly!!!! He was my buddy. He was a good watch dog and loving rooster. People cannot believe it when I tell them he loved to be held and gave us hugs until I show videos. LOL. Going to start a chicken garden this year so the girls can graze all they want. I pray everyone is doing well.
God Bless.

The flock ebbs and flows, but my sugar plum Comfort continues to live up to his namesake.
20231220_114839.jpg

Yes, just like everyone else, I have been busy. I currently have 6 Exhibition Rhode Island Red hens. All doing well and laying. I lost my Fancy Tail Nancy and my rooster (Stu Bird) in the last year. Broke my heart horribly!!!! He was my buddy. He was a good watch dog and loving rooster. People cannot believe it when I tell them he loved to be held and gave us hugs until I show videos. LOL. Going to start a chicken garden this year so the girls can graze all they want. I pray everyone is doing well.
God Bless.
So sorry. :hugs Thanks for letting us know how things are going.

Back
Top Bottom