Blue/Black/Splash - is one more likely to lay blue eggs?

TayInTX

Chirping
May 14, 2019
We are doing a 4-H breeding project using Hoover’s new Prairie Bluebell hybrid (Araucana x Leghorn). They lay a blue egg and have Oo egg color genetics.

I’ve got a blue roo that will be over blue and splash hens. This will produce BBS offspring. In theory 75% will lay blue eggs and 25% will lay white.

I’m wondering if anyone has discovered that one BBS color is more “likely” to also inherit a certain egg color gene. I know they are not really linked but if anyone has anecdotal evidence, I would love to hear it!

We are doing a 4-H breeding project using Hoover’s new Prairie Bluebell hybrid (Araucana x Leghorn). They lay a blue egg and have Oo egg color genetics.

The Autosomal Blue gene is believed to be located on Chromosome 12 of the chicken genome, the Oocyan allele is located on Chromosome 1 on the Chicken genome, so they will follow the law of independent assortment..

The blue egg shell O(o allele) and the Pea Comb genes(p allele SOX5 mutation) are liked about 4 map units in distance(1 map unit is 1% chance of recombination) this means that you have about 96% chance that the single comb offspring of the intercross of the Prairie Bluebell cross will lay white/creamy eggs.

For Araucanas/Ameraucanas their Occyan mutation(O) in linked to their Pea comb mutation(P)

For Cream Legbars/Isbars their Occyan mutation(O) is linked to their single comb mutation(p+)

Chinese blue eggers developed an independent blue egg shell mutation so is not known as of yet that if that mutation is linked to any p allele mutations.

I would like to point out that the Chinese Oocyan mutation is also found on the o allele(linked to the p allele) the same Endogenous Retrovirus EAV-HP caused the mutation independently from the Mapuche strain(from whee Araucanas, Ameraucana, Cream Legbars and Isbars derive their Oocyan mutation), in other words, it's an allelic mutation, both are dominant to o+, so on the o allele we have wildtype non blue egg shell o+, the mapuche based Oocyan(O^m for mapuche) and the Chinese based Oocyan mutation(O^ch)

Endogenous Retrovirus EAV-HP Linked to Blue Egg Phenotype in Mapuche Fowl
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0071393

Back
Top Bottom