Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons - It's what's for dinner

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MissPrissy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have eaten it but I have never made it. I suppose it would be possible but these home grown birds are like gold. I cook them one at a time so we can savor and enjoy each and every one of them. To do three at once would surely be decadent!

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    MissP, Good job with the Ram, he looks so tasty. How is the meat? have you tried it? I keep playing with the idea of buying a lamb or sheep at the auction just to process. Just like skinning a deer I suppose. Definitely be something new. This saturday we are going to process my friends Sow and hopefully by the end of February we will be processing my Big Black gilt.

3. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He is fabulous. The meat melts like butter. He is very mild tasting too. Better than any lamb I have ever bought - including imported Australian lamb.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    We just did 9 of our BO cockerels. They were 12 weeks old and though they are lacking large breast areas, they are a hefty size. I cannot wait to make one [​IMG] We plucked all but one. He was skinned. I wanted to see/taste the difference. I'm really excited to try them. LOL

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The main difference you will find is the texture. You won't have mushy meat. The flavor can be a little more enhanced with home grown as well.

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    MissP how old was your ram when you processed him? Generally I like the taste of female animals better than males, EX: deer, hog, chicken etc. I wonder if a young Ewe would taste better than a ram.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He was approaching 9 months old. I have never had such wonderfully mild lamb. If I didn't tell you it was a ram lamb you would never know. He was intact.

All of the research we did said a ram lamb would be excellent under 1 year old if left intact. Of that I am now a firm believer.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I'd never skin one unless I tore the skin up somehow while plucking. Even then, I'd leave on what I could. I just love fried chicken skin, and that crisp, brown, caramelized skin on a roasted bird. No way I'm throwing that away!

MP, was the 10 lbs. live weight? If so, do you know what the dressed weight averaged? Nice looking bunch of birds.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    MissPrissy we should be neighbors...I wouldn't feel so odd then. Just the fact I hunt deer and elk sits bad with the tree huggers and tofu eaters around here but I am not about to change. I am doing meat birds this coming Spring and would love to do a steer and/or a ram.

Keep up the good work...that ram looks tasty. Great job skinning him, that would be a nice and easy hide to tan.

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    We are new to the butchering, but with the high cost of having it done, we are learning. We have 2 pigs that need to be butchered this weekend and a ram lamb to go in about a month. We did 4 BBW turkeys about a month ago. The smallest dressed out at 20 lbs for the Thanksgiving table. We did the breasts off the bone. One side feeds 5 of us with left overs. Not bad for a couple of kids from the burbs gone country in their middle years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by